Hard luggage

Chat about anything
mitzi

Hard luggage

Post by mitzi »

I really want to buy a V Raptor but don't want to give up the luxury of hard luggage when touring / rallying. Does anyone know if Givi, Kappa or any others make a system that can be fitted?
Mitzi
stof
On the Road

Post by stof »

Hi, Givi do a rack for the Raptor.
mitzi

Hard Luggage

Post by mitzi »

Thanx for that :D but I really need to know if I can get panniers on as well cos I take so much stuff when I'm rallying ! :P
Mitzi
BigHungryJoe
On the Road

Post by BigHungryJoe »

Similarly, does anyone know of any soft throwover panniers and tailpacks suitable for the raptor 650? My local dealer didn't have anything that kept out of the way of the high pipes, and I can't use my old magnetic tank bag becaus of the plastic tank.
A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

BigHungryJoe wrote:55 years agoSimilarly, does anyone know of any soft throwover panniers and tailpacks suitable for the raptor 650? .............
am looking for some too, Ventura luggage is great but panniers would be a useful addition. Currently I have PanTiers - waterproof leggins with the ankles firmly tied up, ankles attach to rear pegs and the "bum" sits on the seat - it fits - small tent, sleep mat, sleeping bag and some other bits :shock:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
BigHungryJoe
On the Road

Post by BigHungryJoe »

Sounds like an.... interesting solution. I was looking at some high sports panniers, but I don't trust the heat-proofing on soft luggage. I'll let you know if I find anything, but for now I'm buying a big Kriega rucksack. Not ideal, but faily comfy and holds enough for a few days away.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I run a set of Cambridge sports (not sprouts which is what I just typed :shock: ) panniers.

Now with hardware store 'soldering mat' sewn on the bottoms after meltdown on one run. But I have now sussed it completely and put the airbed (well I do like my comforts) in a waterproof stuff sac folded up under the throwover bit on the seat, this gives me the extra 20mm clearance on the pipes.
BigHungryJoe
On the Road

Post by BigHungryJoe »

Ah, good idea, I'll try that out.
andy varley

Post by andy varley »

HOW DO OUT THERE! I HAVE BEEN USING A SET OF ( B BAGS ) LUGAGE , YOU CAN GET A SMALL AFRICAN TRIBE IN THEM.... THEY ARE EXELLENT . WE HAVE DONE MANY RALLYS AND TOURING TO EUROPE , SCOTLAND HIGHLEY RECOMENDED .. AND THEY DONT LOOK TOO DAFT :wink:
Brihass
On the Road

soft panniers

Post by Brihass »

baglux have just released a new sport pannier set for high pipes

www.baglux.co.uk

not seen them, but thought it was worth a mention

regards.
The Reverend
On the Road

Post by The Reverend »

Well people after my recent trip to the south of France, i recommend that you DO NOT use soft panniers for the reason that i Used to own some but now i don't see the second part of my story. Top Box is the way forward make no mistake. Raptors are crap and i really do mean crap for fitting luggage no handles, pipes too high, everything you can think of they are rubbish for luggage hence the Givi range is the only one i would ever consider

The Rev
More Tea Vicar?
RaptorJo
On the Road

Soft Luggage!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RaptorJo »

Wondered if anyone could help. Have read the above comments and was just wondering as I have standard pipes would i get away with oxford humpback panniers or would i have the bottom burnt out like everyone else. Looking at doing some weekends away etc next year, and don't like the idea of hard luggage - already have the oxford sports tailpack which is brill but not big enough for weekend camping. Any thoughs?
twistedpr
On the Road

Oxford Soft Will Fit

Post by twistedpr »

Have a complete set of the sporty (non-mupback) Oxford soft luggage, and it is indeed a complete pain fitting it to the bike. Not burnt out the panniers (yet), but do have to pull the velcro straps in tight and run a bungee underneath just to keep the bottoms of the panniers off the pipes.

I have a 650ie, which comes with a grab handle & luggage bars. This makes securing the tail pack relatively easy, although you can't unzip the bag and take it with you.

Forget about putting the pad on the tank, as it is not magnetic and the wrong shape. This is a pain as the bag itself is pretty good, but I try not to wear it as a rucksack when riding. The solution I came up with is to strap the tank bag base unit over the pillion seat (using a bungee underneath and putting the short strap around the sides of brake light. That way I've got a small pouch for running around in, plus for bigger stuff I can just zip the tank bag onto it. I do have to keep checking that the pad strap isn't interfering with the line of sight to the brake light though, as I have no desire whatsoever to ever be rear-ended (that applies to all aspects of my life!)

Having said all that, I have just fitted a solo seat hump and removed the grab handle, so will have to think again! :roll: One idea I have is to replace some of the under-seat/tail bolts with fish-eye ones, leaving nice & convenient but relatively subtle holes to hook bungees into. :)
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

soft luggage (bag seat bag) is indeed a bad idea on the raptor...i burnt my bags, and i mean not only burnt, but they caught fire on my scotland trip this year! Almost burnt the whole bike...so be careful out there.

I was lucky enough to only loose a couple of boxers and socks :lol:
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Been on another forum and they have kindly helped me out with these links which i reckon is going to be my best bet along with a rucksack, hopefully someone else may find the links useful.

http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/fitments/ ... turer_id=4

http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/fitments/ ... ent_id=627

thanks for all the info its greatly received (its hard to make decisions)