Rear Caliper - Seals

Chat about anything
oldlongdog
On the Road

Rear Caliper - Seals

Post by oldlongdog »

I'm looking for some seals for my rear caliper (650 - 2002) but am getting the same weird story from all the usual outlets; something like... Some twerp in USA sues Brembo such that they will no longer supply replacement seals for servicing calipers. You have to buy the whole caliper...! WTF...! Cheapest I can get a caliper for is £100 (it's the same as on various scooters) but that still seems stupid, not just financially but the whole idea.

Has anyone got any ideas where to get some seals at a sensible price or, failing that, a rear caliper they don't want?!

Cheers,

OLd
Get on with it before you die (or the law catches up with you)...
weirdo
On the Road

Re: Rear Caliper - Seals

Post by weirdo »

Check on ebay mate, you'll probably find the same caliper fitted as standard to a few bikes.
There's an xtra being broken on here, i don't know if they're the same caliper. Give Midi a bell if they are.

HTH :mrgreen:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I ended up buying a caliper from someone who was breaking a Raptor in NZ, couldn't find the seals anywhere, but I have heard since that the KTMs use the same caliper and seals are available as a KTM spare
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Looks like the guys at Roadrunners in Stroud have sourced a set from a seal manufacturer. Will know in a couple of days whether they are any good. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

OLd :happyhappy:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: That would be good if they have found them!
Twisted Tequila Sister
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Some good info on this 'problem' here..... http://www.ridersite.ws/rs/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=16
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

OK my fellow Raptoristi, looks like Roadrunners have done the trick. I have got the caliper back and the seals fit perfectly. I need to bung it back on the bike and bleed the bleeder before I know for sure that it's all going to work, so I'll let you know if it all turns out ok (can't see why it won't but best to be safe).

Roadrunners are at Unit 7B, Fromeside industrial Estate, Dr Newtons Way, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 3JX Tel: 01453 757942

or their webbo is at:http://www.roadrunnermotorcycles.co.uk/

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/

:thumbsup:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:thumbsup: better and betterer

think we may have to 'sticky' this one
SnappY
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Having the devil's own job bleeding the rear caliper... The bubbles just won't go. I've tried syringing it in from the bottom and the traditional way pumping the brake lever. Any tips...!
:doh:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

oldlongdog wrote:55 years agoHaving the devil's own job bleeding the rear caliper... The bubbles just won't go. I've tried syringing it in from the bottom and the traditional way pumping the brake lever. Any tips...!
:doh:
http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =14&t=2123

Carnivore always did it this way in his pic on this thread. Was always a pain in the ass to do, but it worked. Watch out for the master cylinder being foobarred, as you'll be bleeding for England and getting nowhere. A rear master cylinder from a 125 Mito IIRC is a match for the Raptor.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Great tip. Actually, I tried the reverse of this when syringing from the caliper i.e. I had the master cylinder off and the hose straight up. Sorry to be ignorant but what does Foobarred mean? :oops:
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

oldlongdog wrote:55 years ago Sorry to be ignorant but what does Foobarred mean? :oops:
FOOBARRED :- Buggered.....knackered.....shagged..... f**ked..... defunked...... gone to meet it's maker ...... it is a late master cylinder........... :lol:

They can be a bit dodgy though, i had to replace mine this year, the good thing is they are readily available if you do need one.

I found the best method of bleeding the caliper was to string it up as high as you can with the nipple at the highest point. Don't forget to put some (clean) wood or something between the pads to represent the disc when you pump the pedal :nod: .
Once you're done, leave it hanging for a while then go back and do it again, any tiny (leftover) bubbles will have worked their way to the top by then. :thumbsup:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

or
Fubar = F.u.b.a.r. Fekked Up Beyond All Recognition :)

see also fuct - failed under continuous testing :wink:
SnappY
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Thanks all! Funny but stringing it up was exactly what I did, including the bit of wood! It's improved but still a bit spongy, so I've left it as I'm off for the weekend. Was wondering if warming the whole thing with a hair drier (it's feckin' freezing in the garage at the mo) might thin the brake fluid and so accelerate the rising of the bubbles....?

Also, how do I tell between a foobarred master cylinder and just some air left in the system...?

And why the hell are brakes so difficult and time-consuming to service...???? :wavesad: !!!!
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

key thing when bleeding with the caliper up in the air is to tilt it forward and back, bleed in each position, just putting the nipple to the top ( which seems logical ) allows air to be trapped in the drillings.
Stay calm.