Bump Starting

Chat about anything
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Bump Starting

Post by Mighty Mariner »

The other night I went out for a blast and a cuppa and when I went to start up again the battery failed.
The question is, has anyone successfully bumpstarted a Raptor?
Mine didn't and three or four fellow bikers almost suffered heart attacks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
tyremuncher
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: danny moore , hawick

Re: Bump Starting

Post by tyremuncher »

i do belive its alot harder to bump a twin than a four,
Mighty Mariner wrote:55 years agoThe other night I went out for a blast and a cuppa and when I went to start up again the battery failed.
The question is, has anyone successfully bumpstarted a Raptor?
Mine didn't and three or four fellow bikers almost suffered heart attacks.
i dont need sex,the government fu*k me everyday
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Tiz hard to bump start an SV never mind a rappie :yuck: Theres a bit of a nack but they do get going. Seen it done once or twice at SV gatherings.

I have a zap pack if its buggered at home, red clip on starter, black clip on frame......clear! Starts an SV no worries.
I have heard of jumping them off a car....but I wouldn't like that.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

I left my sidelight on once and flattened the battery. Me and my friends tried several attempts at pushing it down a hill but to no avail, ended up calling RAC to jump it.
If it happened again I wouldn't bother trying I'd just call RAC, it was hard work sitting on it while my mates pushed me around :lol:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Got stuck once with a flat battery and bump start just didn't work for me. Finally got a jump start from a car - that worked :)

when i was running a duff battery in winter (and no time/dosh to get a new one) I got a jump start from OH's car in the morning, trickle charged a battery from another bike overnight and carried it in a tail bag (with jump leads) and slaved the Rap from that each evening after work. :oops: :cold:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Ordered a new battery on Wednesday night on the net. It arrived today fully charged ready to go.
Fitted and working. It spins the motor really fast.
I've changed rear lamp and front side lamp bulb to LED. Much brighter and if by chance do turn the key too far off not much drain on the battery either.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

When i 1st got my rap my battery failed one morning as i set off for work but i managed to bump it on my own.I think it was more luck than anything as the next morning it failed again and i nearly put myself in an early grave trying to start it,failed miserably and didn`t try again.New battery and away we go and i`ll never ever try bumping a big twin again,oh for the days when every bike had a kick start as well.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

AZ wrote:55 years ago ....//...
oh for the days when every bike had a kick start as well.
:shock: yeahbut yeahbut - kickstarting a 650 twin was heavy job -- I think kicking over a 1000 twin (thinking 500 single x 2) would need the old advance/retard?? lever that the big singles used to have
ed. and possibly carbs not injectors?

eeek showing my age now :whistle:
SnappY
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Ever tried kick starting an old SRX600?

You need to jump off the top board of an Olympic pool to get one o them to start. A certain amount of style and panache is needed, Matt bought me one as my first bike, cause I learnt to ride on his. Bearing in mind hes had a dodgy hip, it took him enough attempts to kick one over.....

took me one attempt to kick it over, in that I mean, lose my balance and fall over sideways :rant:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I've had to bumpstart just about every bike I've ever had. I got pretty good at it 8) Yeah, well, it's not actually something for me to be proud of. I'm trying to keep on top of this one now because unless I've got a bloody big hill, there's no way that I'm pushing bikes and jumping on them any more. Since it would be futile on a Rap anyway by the sounds of things, I'll keep a check on my battery.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:lol: @ DB
Ever tried kick starting an old SRX600?
nope (i do like the looks of 'em ) but did have to start a 600 Panther for a neighbour when he was ill, luckily I was 15 and therefore invincible :revrev:
took me one attempt to kick it over, in that I mean, lose my balance and fall over sideways
:D 750 Norton did that to me - the bastid :angry:
SnappY
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I know what you mean but with a valve lifter/decompressor it could be done.That said it would have to be an emergency only thing as memories of being 17 and trying to start my 1960 BSA A10 Super rocket at the back door and making the mistake of locking my leg straight when it kicked back .It sent me up in the air where my head scraped up the wall above the doorway and my shoulder stopped at the top of said doorway leaving me with a grazed head,ear,neck and shoulder a sore leg and ribs from falling back down on the door step.Wasn`t brave enough to try it again for a week after that :doh: .
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I've got a Yam XT500 in the garage, it said in the manual that the decompressor was an "aid to starting for the elderly or infirm" :lol:

Its not been fitted since then, caused many enjoyable afternoons at rallies watching people try to start it...

I think the main problem you are all having bumping the Raptor is that you need some power in the battery to enable the injection and ignition systems to work..
152/999
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

my rap played silly buggers at my last trackday after nearly killing about 6 helpfull volenteers it ended up a rope around the front tied to back of van 3rd gear and it went in the end a bit dangerous but needs must as for kickstarting my triton with 10.5 to 1s takes some doing and you soon learn never lock your leg :naughty: