Front Brake Disks

Chat about anything
Bfef
On the Road

Front Brake Disks

Post by Bfef »

Mmm, doesn't look like the bike for sale is generating much interest... :(

Might have to fix it after all, does anyone think these are a good idea?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260867227775? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Considerably cheaper than the £150+ per side for brand name items....

Cheers, Bfef. :wink:
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Front Brake Disks

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hi, I know tyremuncher put a set of these on his, one of them was a bit warped so they replaced it for him and its fine now.

A bargain at that price I reckon, so if you go for them report back as i am considering the wavy look.........................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Krasi
On the Road

Post by Krasi »

I was also looking at these some weeks ago. Haven't purchased yet, as mine have some life in them still. PMed some of the clients of the vendor and got all positive responses about quality.

A fellow local rider has posted a compilation of responses he's gathered for them:

>I bought a set of the fake Galfer wave rotors on ebay for my 650 after the GIXXER swap. Stupid me, I could have gotten a GSXR wheel (with reasonably common rotors) but wanted a silver one exactly matching the rear so I went SV1000. And then found out how bad rotor pricing on these is.
The Chinese rotors were something like $200 for fronts and matching rear, and I have been very, very happy with them. Braking is a lot more progressive than the same (GSXR) but stock setup on my SV1000, with a lot more bite under hard braking. They are a pretty hard steel too, I have about 1000 miles of hard riding and they still have the machining marks on them.

>Like Dr. Howard I'm using ebay (arashi, galfer design) rotors, and after 1500 kms I'm satisfied with them. Like the better bite and feel than OEM gsxr (which were worn though).

>My father works in a company that performs tests to weldings and metal fatigue in big structures (bridges, railways...) here in Portugal and Spain.
I ordered one of this Chinese rotors and gave it to him for him to test.
I posted the results on the Portuguese Hayabusa Forum.
Ok, it is written in Portuguese but I'll can sum it up by saying that the "Arashi" rotor passed every single test. After heating, cooling, twisting, pressing and chemical abuse all came out fine.
One test that is particularly interesting is rotating the rotor in a machine that reads changes in a magnetic field crossed by the rotor thus enabling to "see" into the rotor to check the uniformity of the metal alloy.
By the way, the metal the rotor is made of it's called Martensitic Steel (AISI 420), just like the Galfers, Braking, EBC, etc. .
I've surfed the web and found everything: warped Arashi rotors, warped OEM rotors, warped Galfers, cracked Brembos, you name it. I guess these Arashi rotors are as good (or as bad...) as the others.
On a final note, I just wanted to say that you rarely get "what you pay for". Life does not work like that at all. Sure, the rule of thumb is that the more expensive something is, the better.
But for this type of simple, mass produced items, the final price little has to do with production costs. It has more to do with desire of ownership and pose value. It doesn't matter if a rotor- any brand -costs $1 do make if people are willing to pay $1000 for it.
I'm sure that if I erased the Galfer letters from a rotor set and engraved Chinese rotors with the Brembo logo and gave them to some one in this forum do drive-test them in his bike he would rave about the "Brembos" and trash the "Chinese".
Will post soon the riding experience (just installed the front ones, wheel has to be calibrated, so I synced it with tire change).

>I'm a bit confused.
American iphones are made China, lot's of Japonese Toyotas and Hondas are made in USA, american cars (witch, by the way, are illegal here in Europe because they don't meet safety and pollution regulations) are made in Mexico, and so on.
Then people refuse to spend 180 dollars in 2 rotors?
Like I said in a previous post, my father is a mechanics engineer and tested the Arashi rotors and the are better than the OEM.

>I had a set on my GSX-R 600 and they performed just fine under occassional heavy braking.

>Well I have a season about 8k miles on my arashi rotors, This is on a 275hp turbo busa. Still look great and stop like no other!!!!!

>OK, here is my firsthand experience. I wanted to wait a little longer till I've been riding on these for a few months.
I purchased these front wave rotors from the seller racingboy1982 a short time ago for $205 shipped from China. Prior to the purchase I read reviews on hundred of rotors he sold, without a single complaint. So, I caved in as I can't justify spending half a grand on a set of rotors.
First of all, I received my rotors in 5 days! That's from China. Second of all, I had a few questions, and they communicated quickly.
The craftsmanship looks solid, and I rode a few times, and they are bedding in nicely. A bit of pulsating during the bed in process is normal.
I specifically checked for cracks, loseness, etc. and so far so good.

>so once again......countless posts by people that have never used these rotors in question.
glad some people that have actually used them, finally came on to give some real info. I rode a trackday on gsxr 750 that had an ebay set of rotors....Braking feel and performance was typical GSXR.
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Anyone?!?! Will these ones that are linked above fit the 650 raptor?

I took some measurements (or tried to) and they don't match exactly what's on the site.. They're like 35mm braking surface and around 120mm from the bolts to the outside of the disc.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

I was under the impression the 650 and 1000 have same brakes but not certain and now the wife has sold her 650 cant measure to check. Can measure the 1000 if you wish to compare?
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

I measured mine already and they kinda match.. Unless anyone knows of any major reason why the 2000 model would be diff to the 2002 model in terms of brakes I'm gonna order em..
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Go for it Frankie! keep us posted when they arrive and you get them fitted and tested.

I am pretty sure the whole front end of the raps are the same whatever the engine size and year......................
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Gotta admit, My brothers kinda put me off chineese steel ;-)
candy
On the Road

Post by candy »

Got to say that wavy discs confuse me, after all braking force is generated by forcing your pads on to the discs. I would have thought that as these discs have less surface area than standard discs this can only lead to a reduction in braking, they will no doubt cool faster but I cant see that they can help you stop faster.
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

My mate got some Chinese wavy discs for his GSXR 750. He's only a gentle rider and doesn't cover a lot of miles. The discs failed at the first MOT!!! Of course, there may be 'Chinese discs' and 'Chinese discs'. Might be a bit of a gamble.
superaptor
On the Road

Post by superaptor »

Red Mist wrote:55 years agoMy mate got some Chinese wavy discs for his GSXR 750. He's only a gentle rider and doesn't cover a lot of miles. The discs failed at the first MOT!!! Of course, there may be 'Chinese discs' and 'Chinese discs'. Might be a bit of a gamble.
can you please clarify what you said? fail like failed the inspection? or fail like they didnt meet the requirements?
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

superaptor wrote:55 years ago
Red Mist wrote:55 years agoMy mate got some Chinese wavy discs for his GSXR 750. He's only a gentle rider and doesn't cover a lot of miles. The discs failed at the first MOT!!! Of course, there may be 'Chinese discs' and 'Chinese discs'. Might be a bit of a gamble.
can you please clarify what you said? fail like failed the inspection? or fail like they didnt meet the requirements?
They failed the MOT. Or more accurately, he got an 'advisor' to change them as soon as poss. I'll try and get more details. I know the owner of the shop so I'll ask why they failed. I'd presumed that they were worn. Actually, my mate is keeping his bike in my garage. I think he may still have the discs on so I'll go have a butcher's.
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

candy wrote:55 years agoGot to say that wavy discs confuse me, after all braking force is generated by forcing your pads on to the discs. I would have thought that as these discs have less surface area than standard discs this can only lead to a reduction in braking, they will no doubt cool faster but I cant see that they can help you stop faster.
It is clamping force that slows you down. Same inward push over a smaller area = higher clamping force and better braking. Like button clutches, same spring force over less area gives a greater clamping force.

Seems counter intuitive but it works.

I will be getting a set of these for the Wifes' 1K. The current brakes suck! I already have Hel lines, and now it is just pads to look at!

James