Tyre recommendations for Raptor 1000

Chat about anything
oogachaka
On the Road

Tyre recommendations for Raptor 1000

Post by oogachaka »

Hi folks

Now I am back on a Raptor :thumbsup: I need to be brought back up to date with the latest tyre choices..

I ride in wet and dry weather. . Want the peace of mind that my tyres won't spoil my fun! So can anyone recommend any? :)

Non raptor people recommend the pirelli angel gt''s. .I've never used them ...any thoughts?
snapdragon

Re: Tyre recommendations for Raptor 1000

Post by snapdragon »

I still have Bridgestone on mine, 023 now, an all weather composite, done me well so far although I can't answer for snow... :cold:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Angel STs on mine and the bike behaves beautifully. When buying, I'm an Avon man (as opposed to an Avon Lady!), but there's plenty of miles left in the Pirellis yet so I won't be changing soon.

Wot's this stuff you call rain? I don't hold with riding in that if I have the option... :?

Nick
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

Michelin Pilot Road 4. Seems to be the go for all weather.

James
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

nickst4 wrote: 6 years ago -//-
Wot's this stuff you call rain? I don't hold with riding in that if I have the option... :?

Nick
Wuss :lol:
SnappY
oogachaka
On the Road

Post by oogachaka »

Thanks peeps.. :happyhappy:

It appears to be quite a choice out there... decisions decisions..

Well seeing as my back tyre is desperate for replacement i've searched for tyre pair deals and ordered the Pirelli Angel ST's ..at£152 a pair it's worth giving them a go... not bad price which my student budget could manage when replacing disks and pads and loads of other bits n pieces at the same time. Shhh don't tell the bank manager :naughty:

I'll let you know if there any good in the wet...(rain) :)
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Michelin Pilot Road 4. Seems to be the go for all weather.
Bit late now with another vote for the Michelins but I've always fitted the PR3s. The bike is my daily & these are equally good in wet/cold/dry a last ~8K
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

the last 3 sets I have fitted have been continental contimotion, no problems in any conditions, they aint super-sticky sports rubber but cope with my normal riding over the last few years and wear pretty well too!

Improved suspension makes all the differance to tyre grip so thats where the bigger money should be spent I reckon.
nil illigitimae carborundum
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

snapdragon wrote: 6 years ago Wuss :lol:
Well, Snappy From Wiltshire; remind me not to offer help with your unlovely wheels again! :nerner:

Been there, done that in a former life so far as riding in rain and snow is concerned and it wasn't much fun, especially with the primitive riding gear available in the 60's. The average pair of pyjamas has more protective capability than the jackets around then. Not that I wear pjs, of course...

On those occasions when I get caught in a deluge these days, I have to admit a certain pride in dealing with it, but hate the thought of road muck getting in all the crevices of the bike. Cleaning bikes is a once-a-year thing for me, except on the winter hack Honda NTV which does get a hose-down to rid it of salt, each time I take it out.

Rest assured, I salute all you dudes and dudesses that use two wheels for all your transport requirements!
:thumbsup:

Nick
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

Mine is fitted with Michellin pilot road 4. Excellent tires!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've now splashed out on some Metzeler RoadTec 01s that I've only had for 500 miles or so but initial impressions are favourable. Tip in is real quick but when you've got the desired lean they just stop there and feel real solid. More lean? then just tip in (again quick) and again that same solid feel. Nice, and wet roads feel no different.

There was some motorway high speed instability which continued after the initial running period had lapsed but investigation has showed it was in fact due to knackered rear wheel & steering head bearings. Although I have only just replaced the latter and haven't yet tried it out there was a definite 'notchiness' at the central position.

It is worth noting that these where much more apparent with the Metzelers that the old PR3s which does bode well for their expected precision and feedback.

Expensive at 250 but am expecting 8/10k durability as well.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Quick & straight to the point update - tyre pressures, doh! :oops:

Even after doing the bearings and notching up the rear rebound a couple of clicks I was still sensing general uneasiness at speed on the motorway so I went back to basics & checked Metzeler's recommended tyre pressures for the RoadTecs - 36 & 39 psi.

And after checking with an newly bought accurate gauge I was running them something like ~15% too low. Ran them at the recommended and bingo! stable all the way up too, erm... high speed. Although it's still not the best when in a van's or a 4 x 4's slipstream. Which leads to the next improvement....

I've gone and ordered a set of Matris cartridges for the front. Watch this space
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

There ya go, enough uffpuff and Bob's yr auntie
SnappY