Batteries, 650 in particular

Chat about anything
y-i
On the Road

Batteries, 650 in particular

Post by y-i »

Hi All,
To briefly re-cap, I bought a 650 a couple of weeks ago and its trying to start but not quite there.
A new battery is on the cards, and I found that the 650 has a YTX9-BS listed. The 1000 has a YTX12-BS so given that the bikes are similar I wondered if the bigger (its taller with the same footprint) one would fit.
So I tried a few. The VFR800 is slightly taller and fits. I didn't have a '12' but I did have a YTX14-BS for a Speed Triple 955i which is about 50mm taller and also fits in the hole, but you need to pull the cables etc clear that are in the vicinity to get it in. Its a bit fiddly to negotiate out too, and I'd put a fabric strap underneath to pull on to help with removal if I fit it permanently.
The seat fits back down and clips in place with the bigger batteries but being short of time I didn't check how much headroom there is. Id want to do that.
The snag is the earth connection. It's very short and disappears under the tank. I didn't have time to investigate how its clipped and if there's some spare length which could be freed to get it to reach the terminal.
The +ve lead seems ok.
The rubber retaining strap may need another hole to thread it through a bit higher up, and the original hole plugging with a grommet to stop road dirt getting in.
So to sum up I've found that fitting a taller VFR battery looks a distinct possibility with minimum of fiddling. A YTX14-BS could also fit with a mod to the earth lead.
I'll report back what Ive found re the earth lead when I've got time to get the tank off. I plan to do a full tip to toe service and if anyone is interested I'll do a bit of a blog.
Tips and comments are welcome.
so far, so good...
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Batteries, 650 in particular

Post by andybaggies »

The snag is the earth connection. It's very short and disappears under the tank. I didn't have time to investigate how its clipped and if there's some spare length which could be freed to get it to reach the terminal.
On mine (1000) there was a factory mod that enabled the earth connection to be bolted to the side of the battery terminal i.e. the one that is facing upwards when the battery is in situ. The 'mod' consisted of a small, say 1" long, cyclinder that sits on the terminal that allows the connections to sit on the other end with a longer bolt to pass through and tighten up.

And when fitting the battery it is easy to think it's in place when in fact it can be lifted a little more horizontal and slide farther forward.
y-i
On the Road

Post by y-i »

Thanks Andybaggies, theres a similar cylinder on my 650. Interesting to know that they used it on the bigger battery too. It seems on mine to be intended to get the spade terminals clear of the battery body. Fiddly isn't it? I can foresee the loose nut in the terminal disappearing but not being on the ground under the bike when you look.
I'll address it when I get the tank off, which I need to do anyway 'cos the remaining fuel in it isn't from this side of Christmas.
Advice from this website suggests there could be water in there too, so I'll be having the tank off next time I'm home. All will become clear!
so far, so good...
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

The tank lifts up on a hinge. Just undo the front 2 bolts once you take the cover off.
Why not fit the proper battery that's supposed to be fitted?
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!