Winter battery care

General spannery stuff
susibee
On the Road

Winter battery care

Post by susibee »

Hi all, after reading through some of the posts re batteries and charging there seemed to be differing opinions about using Optimate battery chargers.
I have used an Optimate before on my Suzuki (Datatool alarm sucked the life out of the battery in the winter) and didn't have any problems.

So....
Use Optimate and charge battery in situ on bike or, remove battery and use standard charger?

Please feel free to discuss :)

Advice welcome
Thanks
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Winter battery care

Post by Crap Tartan »

If it's not going to be used for a long period, remove battery and charge it with a low current charger(less than 1amp) until it is fully charged.
Then disconnect, leave in a warmish, dry room and check the voltage every 3/4 weeks, it should only drop a very small amount.
When you plan to use bike again, check voltage and charge again to get it at optimum.
nil illigitimae carborundum
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Fitted a led voltage indicator that flashed on the way to work a couple of days ago which indicates the voltage was below 13.2. It was a cold day & I had left it idling for quite & few minutes whilst I was faffing about. It bounced above & below for a few miles, stayed steady for the greater part of the commute & then flashed again for the last mile or so. But no such dramas for the return trip in the evening.

Hmmm.... just checked all the reg/rec connections & battery condition and all looks ok. Surely it can't be the reg/rec again? :angry: This ones only ~8K miles old and I've gone through 2 already :shock: Anyway during a web cruise on the issue I came a cross a mod on the TL/SV sites where the reg/rec is wired directly to the battery (with an inline 30A fuse). The theory being that all the crappy connections & spurs on the oem wiring path can drop the voltage & put a big dent into the, already fragile, charging system.

Anyone tried this mod or can offer any opinions?
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Oohh, I know what I forgot to ask does anyone know where the reg/rec wiring actually splices into the loom? It's not the flat connector on the rhs tucked up by the coolant tank return pipe is it?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I tend to leave the battery in situ and just slow charge it occasionally but CT instructions are better!

Re the reg rec, cant help with the wiring but when you locate it check the earth connection a even slightly dodgy earth will kill them its a classic HD flaw we always run a direct earth on the Harleys... normally after the first reg has gone :woot:
Twisted Tequila Sister
susibee
On the Road

Post by susibee »

Thanks chaps,
Info received and will be acted upon as and when necessary.
Can't see much riding being done in the next few weeks.
Roll on brighter weather, don't mind cold and bright but cold and wet, no thanks!