Homemade Yoshi box and adaptor.

General spannery stuff
Dante
On the Road

Homemade Yoshi box and adaptor.

Post by Dante »

Yes ,you read it right.
You can make a diy yoshi box and plug it to your cagiva.
The best part?Costs about 15 euros.Of course depends on how you want to make it,since if you want to make it exactly like the yoshi box ,you need to get a nice casing ,a plug etc.But just for 3-4 uses ,you can use it without these extras.
So I found this pdf from a vstrom forum with ridiculously detailed instructions and even a list of parts that you can find at your local electronics shop.
It even has a voltage check list,so you can check if everything works before plugging it to your bike.
The way the the yoshi box works is very simple.Just a bunch of resistors,capacitors,switches and rotary switches.And a pcb and some cables. Thats it.

My case was(I own a 650ie with 75000kms),that I had a lean spot at 3000 rpm and while accelerating,there was a hesitation there.
Also because of my high mileage and the raptor does not have a lambda sensor(and considering that I have slip ons and a kn filter) the stock map needed tuning since at low rpms the throttle was rough and had plenty of misfires,which made city riding a torture.
So I connected my diy yoshi box,for start added +5 at low range and made the idle mixture a bit richer.
Result?Silk smooth idle,lean spot and misfires vanished.
I'll work it like this for a few days and then get it to dyno and exhaust gas analysis to further tune it,in case it needs tuning at med and high rpm.
For the price you pay,if you have basic electronics knowledge and a soldering iron,along with a multimeter,it's a must diy project.
I have all the files that are needed uploaded at my drive account,as the files were too big to upload here.
I've also added some pics of my end result.Of course it's not good looking but it does the job.Maybe if I have more time I'll rebuild it into a nice 3d printed casing.

PS.Please before connecting ,check the +5V-GND pins at your raptor.Mine were reversed for some reason ,from what the plug diagram shows.Maybe at other raptors is different.Just to be sure,measure it and connect the pins accordingly.

PS2.Following the numbers from the diy yoshi box,the order for the pins (for my raptor 650 ie which has reversed the 5V and the gnd) are
2-1-6-5-7
4-3-x-x-x
These are the numbers marked on the diy yoshi box,not the ones at the plug diagram.
The raptor's plug's down side is where the clip is.

Dante
On the Road

Re: Homemade Yoshi box and adaptor.

Post by Dante »

If these files can somehow uploaded here,please do it.
I know that it's a bummer looking for something years later and not be able to find the files that you just need.
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Homemade Yoshi box and adaptor.

Post by andybaggies »

The links point to pdf files so can download & save them onto your own PC - and years later forget where you put them :wink: