TPS setting cheat!

General spannery stuff
wreckah
On the Road

TPS setting cheat!

Post by wreckah »

hi guys,

i just got back from the cagiva dealer (to get my english bike registered), and i talked to him about some technicalities.

i asked him to do my TPS as i don't have a decent voltmeter to check the readings. When i said it was easier to do it on a TL1000S (where you can use readings on the dashboard to set the TPS), he said with the raptor 1000 it is exactly the same!

he also shorts out the plug (with a safety pin, or a piece of metal wire) to put the bike in dealer mode, exactly as on the TL1000S, and uses the dashboard to set the TPS...

i had looked for that plug before, but i never found it on the rap...anybody know where it is located?

anyway, i thought you guys would have liked to know this :)
xfact
On the Road

Post by xfact »

I wonder why do you need to adjust the TPS from time to time?!?
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

well,

the TPS needs to be checked and adjusted from time to time, because it can go out of spec...

it is really important to check it, because it is a big influance on low RPM (and small throttle openings) rideability...just like throttle body synchronisation. When the TPS is out, your bike will ride very rough at small throttle openings...and stall, etc...exactly what i experienced lately. (and i changed the plugs, so it's not that)

cheers, jan
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

being a techno numptie - what is TPS please?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

throttle position sensor.

it reads your -small - throttle inputs, and converts it into different voltage outputs, which the ECU uses to adapt the mapping/fueling...

there's 3 readings:

- ignition on, engine not running
- idle speed 1200 rpm
- 1400rpm

:)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Thanks Wreckah - I wonder if mine needs tweaking then - she is a bit surge-y at low revs
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

i was told there isn't a separate plug to short out, its part of the main one and i saw a photo of which ones to short out on another thread called short out for fI codes but that was for the fault codes, dont know if that will work for the tps
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

from the cagiva navigator manual :)

The throttle position sensor is situated on the N° 2 carburettor (edit: with 'carburettor', they mean 'throttle bodies').
This sensor is a variable resistance sensor and senses the angle of
opening of the throttle. In the sensor, the battery voltage is changed
to the relative voltage of the position of the throttle and is then sent
to the ECM. The basic time of injection of the fuel (volume) is determined
according to the signal voltage (outgoing voltage).
The voltage increases when the throttle is increasingly opened.

To obtain the appropriate signal from the throttle position sensor, the basic sensor position is indicated on the LCD
display panel. The malfunction code is indicated in three columns. In front of the three columns is an additional
column that indicates the position with an upper, middle or lower line. If the indication is the upper line or lower line
when the engine is turning at 1300 rpm, slightly rotate the throttle position sensor and adjust the indication to the
middle line.
Under normal conditions, the stop screw of the throttle slightly pushes on the butterfly valve and the indication is on
the middle line.
Preparation
1) Connect the special tool (mode selector) to the dealer mode coupling on the wiring and switch on the engine.
2) Adjust the engine speed to 1300 rpm.
3) If it is necessary, adjust the throttle position sensor by loosening the screws and rotating the sensor. Adjust the
indication to the middle line.
4) Tighten the screws to fix the sensor.
xfact
On the Road

Post by xfact »

I found he plug,
Is is situated just behind the gas tank, strapped to a cable leading to the battery. It is in black so difficult to see :)
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Which pins to short for this 'trick', please? sounds a lot more fun than fiddling around with a DVM!
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Hi,

Is this only applicable to the 1000 bike? I've got a VRap 650 carb version.
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

If you have carbs you need to get them balanced. This is for the fuel injected bikes only. Or so i belive.
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi Jan,

I did this a few months ago ,the connector is under the seat and is the same as the one you can read the FI codes from as you can see here on the forum somewhere (wanders off to take a look..)
No bike is ever finished!
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

No bike is ever finished!
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

But shorting those pins doesn't give you a 'TPS' adjusting icon, does it? Is it another (Which?) pair??
:o
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?