TPS setting cheat!

General spannery stuff
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

stevepratt48 wrote:55 years agoBut shorting those pins doesn't give you a 'TPS' adjusting icon, does it? Is it another (Which?) pair??
:o
No steve, same pins for both tps and fault codes
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Cool, something to do this weekend!
Thanks
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

wreckah wrote:55 years agofrom the cagiva navigator manual :)

The throttle position sensor is situated on the N° 2 carburettor (edit: with 'carburettor', they mean 'throttle bodies').

To obtain the appropriate signal from the throttle position sensor, the basic sensor position is indicated on the LCD
display panel. The malfunction code is indicated in three columns. In front of the three columns is an additional
column that indicates the position with an upper, middle or lower line. If the indication is the upper line or lower line
when the engine is turning at 1300 rpm, slightly rotate the throttle position sensor and adjust the indication to the
middle line.
Under normal conditions, the stop screw of the throttle slightly pushes on the butterfly valve and the indication is on
the middle line.
Preparation
1) Connect the special tool (mode selector) to the dealer mode coupling on the wiring and switch on the engine.
2) Adjust the engine speed to 1300 rpm.
3) If it is necessary, adjust the throttle position sensor by loosening the screws and rotating the sensor. Adjust the
indication to the middle line.
4) Tighten the screws to fix the sensor.
Hi Wreckah this is Mr Craftycat here or 'im with the spanner in the garage.

Just trying to sort out similar running problems on and off the throttle at 3000 rpm. Having read all the posts on this subject I have a few questions.

Firstly is there any risk in shorting out the connection block (which I found on the right hand side just outside the frame clipped into a dummy socket on the rear under seat mud guard, I assume this is the right one, looks like the photo posted) has anyone actually done this without blowing anything up? Because if I do it means DIVORCE.

2nd Q Which is No 2 cylinder, the one pointing forwards or the one pointing upwards (sorry I'm a simple soul).

3rd Q What does this TPS sensor actually look like, cue sketch or photo please, or at least a reasonable description.

4th Q What's with all these columns on the dashboard, dont quite follow you on that one. I understand what you mean about the 3 lines indicating the position of the sensor but where are they on the dash and which one am I interested in, the left, right, top or bottom. How about a quick sketch showing what I am likely to see on the dash.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I am trying to sort this out before we use the bikes all weekend for the Le Mans 24 hours, and I do not want to put a foot wrong and have her bike out of action for the weekend. Have already been there and done that one with the sump plug just before the last round of the WSB Magny Cours last October.

Thanks in advance

Confitures
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Go here and download the manual and it will show you how to do it here mate :)

http://www.raptormaniaforum.it/phpBB2/d ... y&cat_id=5
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

I have scanned in the relevant pages for this information from the (english) workshop manual, but I do not know how to post them up here.

If anyone would like a copy please drop me a PM with your external email address and I will send you a zipped file.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Thanks TL Monkey but that doesn't seem to give anything but the owners manual which I have an original of. Can't see anything in there about a TPS switch or am I blind? Shows you how to adjust the throttle but mentions nothing about a sensor etc.. it's mrs craftycat by the way so if anyone is being thick it's not him... yet!! :lol:
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Jimbo, what page number is it on?
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

craftycat,

Checking and Setting the TPS on the suzuki/raptor

CHECKING

Warm the bike up to operating temperature.(70-80)

Locate the Dealer Mode block under the rear seat(right side on the Raptor).

With the ignition off, remove the rubber cover and jumper the two connectors with a paperclip or other suitable object. Do not let the paperclip contact the frame.

Start the bike and make sure it is idling at 1200 RPM.

The LCD display on the tachometer should read C--
NOTE,
( If the second line is either down or up then your tps is out. )

Advance the throttle to 1400 RPM with the Fast Idle Lever.

After a few seconds at 1400 RPM, the indicator in the LCD should advance to the upper mark.

If it advances at 1400 RPM, your TPS is set correct.
IF NOT,

SETTING THE TPS
Raise the tank.
- Disconnect the VCSV coupler (Leftside rear of airbox)
The TPS should now be exposed on the rear throttle body(leftside)
You will need a #25 Safety Torx Bit to adjust the TPS.
(Your tps is the black bit/part sat on the leftside of your rear t/b(3 pin/wire plug)
Loosen the screws to the TPS and start the bike.
Check the idle is at 1200 RPM and the bike is at normal operating temperature. Tap the TPS up and to the right until the indicator goes to the top mark. Now tap the TPS in the opposite direction until it just barely drops to the center mark (remember the delay, give it a few seconds after each tap). Tighten the Torx screws. Check the TPS by advancing it to 1400 RPM again and make sure the indicator moves up.
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

craftycat wrote:55 years agoJimbo, what page number is it on?
The relevant pages from the workshop manual are C.26 & C.31.

TLMonkey - the procedure in my manual is a little less complicated than yours, only 4 steps???

Can anybody tell me how to paste images into a post. That would make things easier.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Thanks both of you, James has printed out those instructions and scuttled off to the garage!
Jimbo, think he pm'd you... would definately like a copy of that workshop manual! Why are they so difficult to get hold of? :?:
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Craftys Hubby again.

Have just warmed the bike up and confirmed it is on the high mark, although it reads -C00 where the dash is on the high position (cant do that with my keyboard)

The annoying thing is that I dont have tamper proof torx drive, I think Ive seen them on sale somewhere round here, if not I will have to grind down the pins in the screw heads.

Don't tell Crafty she won't be too pleased. :wink:

Will let you know if it's running better when I get it tweaked.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped and given helpfull info.
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Mr Crafty here again, managed to get the right screw driver and adjusted the TPS tonight, it feels like a new bike, so smooth between gear changes compared with before.

It has always been rough since we got it, so it must have always been out a bit, but just got worse more recently.

Hopefully the fuel consumption should go back down to a reasonable level.

Thanks again to TLMonkey and JimBo for all your help and info on the subject.

Confitures
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Just done it, like to make a couple of points!
Display has to be in 'Temperature' position, to get the _C bit, no need to take off the connector, just room, with a long Torx, between the cables. The standard rev counter is pretty low in resolution, I'm looking for a portable hook-up m/c, for next time! You need to develop, Tap, 1/2 a tap, 1/3 tap to get it right!!
Well worthwhile, feeling of running rich at low speeds, has gone. Might even improve MPG!
Oh yes, having done it all, put seat back on, suited up for test ride, don't forget that the link is still in........... Not that I did, of course!!
:D
Steve Pratt

craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Good to hear you cracked it too Steve, I took her out for the first long ride today. Went to meet a friend coming over from UK for the 24hr endurance (bikes) .. I live near Le Mans by the way. Anyway did around 350 kms (around 215 miles) and the petrol warning light didn't come on until 190kms... a darn sight better than 150kms!!!
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

I was very careful, did not crack it - wouldn't that be a nice little treat??
:oops:
Steve Pratt