FUEL CONSUMPTION?

General spannery stuff
AZ
On the Road

FUEL CONSUMPTION?

Post by AZ »

Just wondering what people get until the light comes on and how far you can go when the light comes on.
i seem to be getting around 85 miles to the light and chanced 20 miles after that before refilling.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds about right AZ - if I filled the tank up well, 100 miles is about right
I havent tested it 'fully' but have had more than 30 miles after the flashing amber (annoying isn't it?)
Still getting about ten miles to the litre even on my short commute (can I use that term when my trip to work isn't in the M25 ring?) in the cold when she needs longer to warm up

I'll try and take notes next time, but as far as I recall the most fuel I've put in was 13 litres which is nowhere near what the book says is in there.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Regular as clockwork, 100 to the light I reckon there's another 50 in there, but can't stand that Yellow in my peripheral. seems to be 46MPG week in, week out.
Anybody use 'Super unleaded' as routine? must admit I feel quite guilty pouring cheapo in........
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

My 1000 goes 130 miles to flashing amber, 140 to constant amber and got to 150 once and she still wasn't empty! :?

I am a "spirited" rider (or so I am told) but it seems to make no difference how I ride, its always the same.
I would be very disappointed with 100 miles :shock: .

Never used "Super" as I'm tight :lol: , but riders on another forum I use say they have found no benefit.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
Runs With Scissors
On the Road

Post by Runs With Scissors »

Have to agree with y'all about that damned fuel light.
Mine comes on anywhere between 180 & 200km.....

The furtherest I've ever travelled on a tank of fuel was back in 2004, on a run to Temora for ANZAC day.
289km from 14.91 litres of premium ULP :shock:
I think that was cutting it a bit fine...

That was not a hell of a lot of fun.
There is sod all out there between towns and the towns are a very long way apart.
The idea of being stranded was not a good one.

I've used premium ULP in the Rap since new.
I'm not sure if there is any benefit, but it's still the lowest cost relationship I've ever had :lol:

Cop ya later
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room.
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Cheers peeps,seems like i may have to relax the throttle a bit if i want more economy,but i just can`t help wanting more of that drive that the big V gives.Keep leaving dark lines out of every roundabout and i`m getting good at steering on the back wheel once she`s gripped out of those roundabouts :P .
The CBR used to give nearly the same mpg wether thrashed or not, but the Raptor doesn`t :( .
So am i safe in assuming if ridden in a sensible manner once the light comes on that i should get another 30 miles ?.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

AZ wrote:55 years ago.So am i safe in assuming if ridden in a sensible manner once the light comes on that i should get another 30 miles ?.
nod nod

seems odd that I get 20-25 miles between flashing and constant and Jimbo gets ten, but gets more to the flashing bit
:? confused dragon

ah well :D

I did a test when fuel prices were not so high and found I got better miles per litre with Optimax in, but the price difference means no real saving in cash terms, Rappie seems happy with either
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

I have just got through my first 2 tanks of 98RON. The first tanks i got 90 miles and the second i managed 120miles.

The first tank was used on a weekend thrash with a few mates and the second tank was riding around following my wife while she prepares for her DAS.

I have noticed a big difference in the performance with the higher octain fuel....... It backfires less on the over run, drives alot better from low revs in high gears and generally feels more powerful.

Only the best in the tank from now on!
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I know what you mean about the better fuel as it made a big difference on the CBR and my mate with a TLR says the same ,a bigger bang for your buck 8) ,so that`s what i shall be feeding my baby on.
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

With a bit of hooligan riding I can get my light flashing after 73 miles.
I have noticed though that if I fill up as soon as it starts flashing I can only get 10/11 litres in which is just over half a tank :!:
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Weird, but mine has just changed! Used to be 100 miles to the light, ~ £12 to fill, now comes on at 85, £10 to fill! Very tempted to disconnect the light :P on my next one, and just reset trip every fill!
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

stevepratt48 wrote:55 years agojust reset trip every fill!
I use that method too, just fill up when it reaches 130-135 miles. Especially now we are all reporting different mileages for different indicator lights :shock: . I can't imagine what its like pushing a 1000 for any distance!
So many motorcycles, so little money!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I got flashing light at 105miles at the weekend - filled it after 131 (I was getting jumpy and on the motorway so was cruising very carefully for the last 5 miles!), and she only took 12.5 Litres.

I tend to set the trip meter as well!
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I seem to be getting 85 miles to the light almost all the time ,but my bruv said he usually got 100 miles out of this bike so maybe it`s the way i`m riding her :roll: .
Think i`m going to have to strap a fuel can to the back and see what that tank returns in miles before she runs out as i wouldn`t trust more than 25 miles after the light comes on and that only gives me 110 max between fuel stops which is startin to piss me off :x .
If it turns out to be so crap then i think i may have to have an alloy tank made to give me the extra capacity and have a reserve tap built in for good measure as i plan on a european tour next year with my bruv and a few mates to celebrate our 40th birfdays.
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Getting to grips with the fuel consumption now and realize that the manner in which you ride these has a BIG! effect on the fuel consumption.
Worst is 71 miles to the light ( not so much grinning ,more like a man on a mission /possessed look in my eye :twisted: ).
And 98 miles to the light(no wheelies and grunting/wheelspin out of every corner/roundabout) other than one 150mph dash up Thelwall viaduct on the M6 :lol:.
I rekon if my missus was following me somewhere i might even get over 100 miles to the light,if i didn`t die of boredom first that is.