Original Chain WARNING

General spannery stuff
mvmike

my chains fine

Post by mvmike »

My thou has done 13k, hammered everywhere front wheel never down (2 fork oil seals gone though) and original chain is still A1 :lol: no problems!!

Brakes and clutch have been goosed though

mike
Jabba

Chain problems also for xraptor?

Post by Jabba »

Do you know xtraraptors also have problem with the chain? I could not find any info in the forums about it.

I have driven aprox 1200 miles and I really dont want a breakdown!
I have flex of 25-30mm.

Thank you in advance for any answer.

/Jonas
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the assylum Jabba,

I have not heard reports of problems recently so maybe they have sorted it on the newer models.

Keep an eye on it and you should be fine, mine didnt break it just kernackerd really fast and I replaced it with an Xring chain and new sprockets.
bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

Mine snapped at 120mph on a french motorway last year.. Took out the chain guard, side panel, clutch mechanism, indicator and number plate!.. and a bit of my leg!... had done less than 8000 miles... Total praise to the french bike shop who cleared everything else off their benches and got mine back on the road is less than 2 hours so I still made the ferry!...

The original chain is truly crap!

Better to be safe than sorry... get it changed!
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi all,

Just wondering,what's the most milage has anyone had from the their original chain,I've done 10000 k's, the chain seems okay ( normal stretch test ) and the sprockets look good too,as Shebee said they may have upgraded later year bikes,mines an 04.

Regards,zorro 8)
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

24000 and counting on my original...no probs yet
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Looks like Cagiva got wise and started fitting a better quality item after the first few accidents caused by chain-exhaustion thankfully
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Thanks guy's I'm feeling more relaxed now,just the normal clean,lube and check hopefully.

Regards,zorro 8)
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

My X-Rap has covered 9,500 miles on the original "Regina" chain and sprokets, still looks fine and within service limits, but have new set to change at 10,000 for peace of mind.
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Aaahhh Regina was my 'second' chain - I got one on old sprockets (emergency job after the original started acting like knicker elastic) - it lasted another 14000 before I needed to change the set, I can't remember a specific make on the originals
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
xraptor8
On the Road

Re: Original Chain WARNING

Post by xraptor8 »

Just changed mine, got 7500 miles out of it.

I noticed every time I adjusted the tension when it seemed to be getting slack, it only got slack again very soon after. So to avoid any horribleness, I got a new one last weekend.

The chain actually looked in pretty good nick, with minor corrosion as i adjusted, lubed and cleaned it regualrly enough.

Worth doing for peace of mind!
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
pmogs
On the Road

Post by pmogs »

Changed mine a couple of week's ago , Tsubaki Sigma X-Ring chain & Renthal sprocket's .
Standard chain had done approx 8500 miles , plenty of tight spot's , but the sprocket's looked O.K.
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Divide the number of teeth of your rear sprocket by the number of teeth of your front sprocket If the result is a whole number the chain will not last....try to change the ratio - 45 / 15 is 3, try 15/44 or 15/46 and your chain will last easily over 20000km..
It's all greek to me....
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years agoDivide the number of teeth of your rear sprocket by the number of teeth of your front sprocket If the result is a whole number the chain will not last....try to change the ratio - 45 / 15 is 3, try 15/44 or 15/46 and your chain will last easily over 20000km..

Not heard that theory how does that work?...

Replacing the original plasticine chain with a decent X ring chain and oiling regularly gave a simmilar result
Twisted Tequila Sister
pmogs
On the Road

Post by pmogs »

Bit confused with this my self !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As i remember , fitted standard front 16 tooth & standard rear 40 tooth , which equates to 2.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do i take it that i'm in the clear / O.K. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????