Original Chain WARNING

General spannery stuff
snapdragon

Original Chain WARNING

Post by snapdragon »

A warning to all who haven't put many miles on your Raptor, the chain is made of jelly and is not a long lifed item. :evil:

:idea: I'd recommend replacing it at about 6000 if not before.

Dire consequences . . :cry:
raptordoc was test riding a Raptor which belongs to one of the "hard riding" brigade, the chain had done 8000 ish miles i'm told and it snapped, breaking raptordoc's ankle, he is ok otherwise and being him kept the thing upright.

I changed mine at 6000, after reading posts on MCN from patkin and BurnieM who had their Raptors before I did. It had stretched to the "adjust it weekly" stage. Last month I replaced that replacement for an X ring with Renthal sprockets.

be careful out there guys - - - -- and for feck's sake check yer chain :D
Last edited by snapdragon on |June 1st, 2005|, 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

nod nod - mine had done 8k when I bought it soon after I checked it and refused to ride it any further until I got it done

new X ring chain has done 8k and is still fine (so far)

8)
rc2870

scottoiler

Post by rc2870 »

Snap did you also say that you had a scottoiler on as well? :shock:

I cannot believe that a chain can last so little time even when the bike has auto oiling to prolong its life.

I may even do the chain at the 4000mile with this in mind.

Only 200 miles to full revs WOO HOO :P

I love bikes? :cry:

RC :twisted:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Scottoiler was fitted after the O ring chain (regina) went on the original sprockets at 6K. That lasted another 14K with the oiler, the slightly worn sprockets probably caused a shorter life. :oops:

plus a friend who adjusted my chain for me - on one side only :evil:

All sorted and nice and chunky now :D
ladam

Post by ladam »

thanks for the warning :(

I ve done 5K on mine and have to adjust the chain quite frequently. I also noticed that there was sometthing in the first 2 gears with power delivery. It felt like the chain was slipping (or something like that), not so smooth as before. Whereas, I lubricate it every 300 miles.

I don't really feel like changing the chain, but if there is no other way :oops:
rc2870

Chains

Post by rc2870 »

Does anyone know of any good chain suppliers? I have used Busters mail order in the past and find that the chains and sprockets are DID or similar.

I will not be needing one as yet as I have only done 850 miles and have a Scottoiler twin outlet, but just for reference. :?

Thank you, you CRAZY LOT :lol:

RC :twisted:
pod
On the Road

650 chain life

Post by pod »

My 650 chain was totally goosed at 11,000 miles, it had one serious slack spot that would give jerky transmission below 4000rpm.
Changed it for AFAM sprockets and chain (from Demon Tweaks) and fitted a Scott oiler, one adjustment needed in 1,500 miles.
Doubtless the 1000 is a lot harder on chains.
IMO opinion costs were saved on original stuff, as well as the shock and forks.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
nick

Post by nick »

mine snapped at 7k broke engine case dropped oil,snapped clutch mech,and sheered lug from crank case! while attempting to overtake car in second gear wheelie! clunk! fixed now after a year in garage! afam seems fine at 5k
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

Mine was dangerously feked at 8k... and it took both sprokets out too.. X-ring chain now on about 20k (I think, I'll check later :roll: ) and starting to fade... no scott oiler
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Holy crap :shock: They really are bad. Mine's at 5000 miles now and was only thinking the other day that it didn't feel perfect. I think I'll get it done before I do any more proper rideouts :shock:
ayuluv
On the Road

Post by ayuluv »

Better get them changed.. mine became loose after ard 30000km...
its useless to adjuz.. cos the front sprocket oso giv way...
the rear one is still ok... the front one wear and tear from the twinz
seems to b mor...

btw.. i usin DID x ring... n OEM front sprocket.. was told AFAM n
Ranthen is usin alloy.. afraid wun last dat long... :cry:
IANGA
On the Road

How do you tell its original?

Post by IANGA »

What are the markings on the original chain. I bought my Raptor second hand so don't know if its been replaced.

:shock:

rgds
Ian
shebee
Site Admin

Re: How do you tell its original?

Post by shebee »

IANGA wrote:55 years agoWhat are the markings on the original chain. I bought my Raptor second hand so don't know if its been replaced.

:shock:

rgds
Ian
I dont have my orignal anymore... but basically just keep an eye on it, keep it lube'd and as soon as it starts hooking the sprockets and/or needing adjustment regularly then its time to strat getting the parts!
danman
On the Road

Post by danman »

I'm having some difficulty in buying a set of chain and sprokets in Australia. Does anyone have any info where I could buy one over the web. I have tried B and C express and they do not seem to have anything and I've sent an e-mail to Demon Tweaks buthave not yethad a response.

Thanks in advance.

Danman
hebs

Post by hebs »

Try www.apexleisure.co.uk . They sell the Tsubaki/Renthal combo for a similar price to B and C. I think they post overseas too.