brake light won't go off

General spannery stuff
paddy
On the Road

brake light won't go off

Post by paddy »

Anybody experienced this problem? When I pull the front brake lever in, the brake light goes on, but won't go off when I release the lever, unless I positively push the lever forward to break the connection. I am thinking maybe the contacts within the switch are corroded. No idea, at the moment, if it is a simple job to dismantle the switch and clean them up? Any ideas gratefully received!
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

Have you dropped off the lever and cleaned & greased around the lever pivot? If you need to push the lever forward to switch off the brake light it sounds like the lever isn't hitting its return stop.
Wintermute
On the Road

Post by Wintermute »

i would give it a guid skooshing in wd40, sounds dirty to me
Keep it Real!
01 vrap, ducati yokes/forks/front wheel, clip-ons, aprillia disc's, link plates, hagon shock,TFI box, air box mod'd, tre, prp exhausts, modified monoposto 916 seat unit, new undertray and expansion tank.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Wintermute wrote:55 years agoi would give it a guid skooshing in wd40, sounds dirty to me
Me too, specially this time of year with saltcrap on the roads (WD40 is my favourite tool :wink: )
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
paddy
On the Road

Post by paddy »

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried deluging the switch in WD40, after cleaning thoroughly and employing coppaslip where appropriate, but to no avail. The answer turned out to be to wrap a tiny piece of insulating tape around the lever where it impinges on the return switch. For some reason this cuts a circuit, I presume, and extinguishes the light. Still not worked out quite why.....

Cheers

Paddy