Rear shock feels a bit wrong!

General spannery stuff
xraptor8
On the Road

Rear shock feels a bit wrong!

Post by xraptor8 »

Hi

For the past couple of months, my rear end (ooh er missus!) has felt a bit odd, as if it is slightly dipping.

My rear tyre is relatively new, inflated to correct pressure so it is not that - and the bike doesn't look like it is sloping back when unloaded.

However, if I push down hard on the rear, the bike seems to spring back up at around the same rate as it does when I push it down - I would assume it should spring up more slowly.

Also, the hydraulic adjuster doesn't seem to do much (I can't be sure, but the bike feels no different if I sit on it and bounce up and down - and with no discernable difference when riding). Same goes if I alter the adjuster settings at the base of the shock itself.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Rear shock feels a bit wrong!

Post by shedmonkey »

It does sound like a damping problem. Does it go up and down more than once when you go over a bump? :( But the spring rate is nothing to do with damping. Has it suddenly happened?
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

not sure about the shock on the xtra but on the standard rap they are very prone to leaking their oil (seals are crap!) and
this may give the syptoms you mention....................

however, if the xtra one is fully adjustable it may be worth putting it to factory settings as a start point and then adjusting from there to see if you can dial out the problem. Start there and check static sag etc to see if you have any other issues. Is everything else standard?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

First thing to check is for siezed bearings in the linkages under the shock. If they are ok (not sticking) it sounds like you have too much rebound damping. There are two adjustments for damping on the rear shock. The red knob on the remote cylinder is the control for compression damping. The rebound control is the black concentric knurled knob at the base of the shocker below the spring. Make a note of the position it is in by counting the turns to take it to the stop point at either top or bottom. Bounce the rear end and determine whether it bounces up faster or slower. Then turn the black knob to the position which makes the bounce up fastest. Setting the correct rebound depends on what sort of surfaces you are riding on. If the rebound is too stiff the bike will pump itself down on rough surfaces and make the rear end feel really hard. Also if it's too stiff on rebound when accelerating out of corners the front end can feel like it wants to drift out. The best is a compromise depending on how you ride and where you ride. All you should aim for on rebound is control of the bounce to prevent the pogo wallowing effect. There are some clever people who understand how spring rates damper settings and how the front and rear effect each other who can set a bike up to suit the rider in a matter of minutes. There are some good websites with advise on setting sag with preload to get a base setting before messing with damping. Whatever you do keep a note of what settings you change so you can put it back if it is not an improvement.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

sounds like your shocks knackered :(