Chain, sprockets & swingarm

General spannery stuff
Boofhead
On the Road

Chain, sprockets & swingarm

Post by Boofhead »

G'day everyone,
My Rap's clocking up the miles & will need new chain & sprockets soon (bike only had 2218 k's when I purcahsed it 2 years ago, got nearly 30,000 k's on it now).
So does anyone know who makes a set for Rap's, or is there another make of bike that has the same set? I gather the front sprocket wouldn't be a problem having a Suzy donk, but I'm not sure about the rear.
Or if anyone has the exact dimension's of the rear sprocket's bolt hole pcd, diameter etc, that would be greatly appreciated because I might be able to purchase sprocket blanks & machine the neccessary holes on the CNC Mazzak at work.
Finaly, what is the swingarm material? I gather it's aluminium, I need to know to plan ahead with what I want to do. My plan is to machine up & weld bosses to the swingarm so I can put race stand bobbins on it. Also I have an after market rear hugger that has never fitted properly & I need to weld mounting lugs on the rear brake side. Then I can finaly put my fender eliminator on as well!! I may even look at changing the rear shock mount to suit something better, but I don't know what other bikes rear shocks are similar at this stage.
Thanks for reading my dribble & stay upright
Cheers
Boofhead
P.S. Thanks to everyone who responded to my hydaulic clutch post. I will post what I have done in the near future.
P.P.S. Finaly put the power commander is on & dyno tuned...yeehaa, but I have to say the best thing I put on it was the GiPro TRE. It is so much better around town....get one!
snapdragon

Re: Chain, sprockets & swingarm

Post by snapdragon »

Front sprocket Suzook no problem, rear sprocket for the Suzi hyabusa is 1 or 1.5mm shy of the rear hub, so if you have the kit you could mill a ml out of it :)
I use a Renthal which fits (no point me telling you where from as shipping from Uk would be silly price)
I'm pretty sure the swingarm is steel (only as I think I have some rust there) but am sure someone will know for certain
Yeah my hugger wiped my rear tyre edge so I took it off and kept the big tail (helps make my bum look smaller)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I've got a loose fitting SV 1000 hugger on mine, doesn't foul the tyre.
Raptor sprocket hole is 121mm, busa is 120. Most places selling JT steel sprockets here market the matching number they give here marked as a raptor, but its a Busa, and it don't fit.

I had my carrier on a laithe, so it can carry the Busa sprocket, as I was fed up of the fact looking for a steel 121mm is impossible, but there's loads of Ally hard anodized ones, which I didn't want, I've seen some nasty knarled ones with few miles, in my personal preference...that's rubbish!!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Boofhead
On the Road

Post by Boofhead »

Thanks for the tips.
Looks like I'll be machining the carrier, only have to muck around with it once then!! & there are plenty of trick looking Busa sprockets around that have annodised alloy centres with steel chain rings (plus I'm trying to keep every mod I do based around Suzy bits anyway).
Once again, thanks everyone for your help :D
Cheers
Boofhead
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Just in the process of replacing my chain/sprockets and for reference the manufacturer part numbers are 289-530-16 front, 426-530-40HA rear & 530VXGB-106 for the chain.

£150 all in from A & R racing who were the only supplier I found that specified the correct rear sprocket http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361414148345

With malice aforethought I bought a special offer £25 Lidl "Parkside" (ahem) impact wrench which fizzed the front sprocket nut off in 5 seconds flat. Hurrah!
Boofhead
On the Road

Post by Boofhead »

G'day there andybaggies, thanks for your input on the chain/sprocket saga, however I've sorted it out ages ago. The following dribble may be of some use to you and other Raptor enthusiasts.

I use series 1 Hyabusa rear sprockets (obviously TL/SV/DL for the front). All I did to make them fit was machine a tiny bit off the cush drive hub to suit the inside diameter of the sprocket. All series 1 Hyabusa rear sprockets now just bolt straight on....happy days!!

However, the make of sprocket I now use for the rear is 'Supersprox'. They have an aluminium centre riveted to a very hard steel toothed ring and they last a long time (I get 28000k's) they look trick too. If you wish to use these sprockets you will have to do a little more machining or use washers as spacers on the bolts to pack it out. This is because the rivets won't allow the sprocket to fit flush against the cush drive hub, thus when it is tightened it will distort the sprocket.

I don't like the idea of spacers which puts the chain off line slightly. So I used a drill to put blind holes in the cush drive face for the rivets to sit in and now the sprocket fits flush. The job I done looks shit house!! I was in a hurry so the care factor went out the window, but you can't see it when the sprocket is bolted on anyway.

Now that I'm painting the wheels, and me being the fussy mongrel I am, I have welded up the bodgy holes and the next step is to re-do the blind holes on a CNC Mill.

Cheers & a happy new year to you & all the other members of Raptor Chapter
from Boofhead

P.S. I use an RK chain (EK530 ZVX3)