TLS ecu, not really worth it on the Navigator

General spannery stuff
TLPower
On the Road

TLS ecu, not really worth it on the Navigator

Post by TLPower »

After weeks and months of faffing and procrastinating, I finally managed to take the bike to Dynogod Paul at http://dynobike.co.uk/.

Many hours of research had convinced me that the Navigator was restricted by the exhaust ( taken care of by 50mm, 2-1-2 system with 50mm i.d cans) restrictive air box ( top removed, K&N panel filter fitted) and the final piece being the ecu.

Consequently I bought a 98 TLS ecu and again after much faffing managed to get the thing to run. Not very well.

I rode it up to Malton on the Navigator ecu for financial reasons ( 20mpg on the TLS ecu)

I explained to Paul about my theories regarding the TLS ECU and the restriction issues. We fitted the TLS unit and ran the bike up on a load run, the fueling wasn't far off but was far enough off to require a fair amount of work. It made exactly the same peak power (104 bhp) as the Cagiva ecu at the same rpm. The only difference was that the limiter cut in 400 rpm later.

Paul asked me if I rode at the limiter all the time, my honest reply of course was no. I tend to ride between 5 and 9 thousand so the extra 400 rpm at the limiter wouldn't really be an issue.

Consequently I decided to stick with the Cagiva ecu.

The bike started the day with 104 bhp and 66.72 max torque. It was running quite rich between 4000 and 9000.

Much programming later the bike achieved 107.42 bhp and 72.53 max torque.

So in essence my wonder exhaust mod has given me an extra 3bhp and an extra 3 ftlbs of torque ( though an extra 6 on the day)!

The quest to find the missing bhp has ceased, the extra torque can be felt and it makes me smile.

Do you know any one who wants to buy a TLS ECU?

I asked about 1080 kits, he showed me his most recent plot, all the power and torque is way up in the rev range, mine makes more torque up to 7500 rpm so I shall have to live with that.

Many thanks to all who offered knowledge, support and encouragement.