What did you do to your Raptor today

General spannery stuff
Giocast
On the Road

Re: What did you do to your Raptor today

Post by Giocast »

Thanks Andy, I'm still on a steep learning curve – I haven't even managed to work out the purpose of the strip of bent steel is near the tongue engagement area. I had to bend it out the way slightly as it was stopping the tongue from Sitting as it should. Next thing I need to do urgently is adjust the pre load up as far as It can it can go on the rear damper and then also look for a replacement that will help it sit higher
But with some adjustment left.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Giocast wrote:55 years agoThanks Andy, I'm still on a steep learning curve – I haven't even managed to work out the purpose of the strip of bent steel is near the tongue engagement area. I had to bend it out the way slightly as it was stopping the tongue from Sitting as it should. Next thing I need to do urgently is adjust the pre load up as far as It can it can go on the rear damper and then also look for a replacement that will help it sit higher
But with some adjustment left.
Don't worry about it mate, even after years I quite often struggle to get the seat on, it's a pig when she's leaning on the stand and the angles are funny, and only a little better when she's on an even keel on a paddock stand. I think the strip you're talking about is the catch for the little rubber strap that's supposed to hold the toolkit down. after reading this though I'll have a look at battery positioning and see if that might be contributing to my difficulties.

Today I made some progress with a c14 error code, found that the voltages across the throttle sensor wires are good, but there seems to be a lack of continuity between the central terminal and earth. I think I'll have to do some more disassembly to make sure I have a good grasp of the terminal though as I was really just poking a crocodile clip in with my fingers and can't be absolutely sure it was properly placed. It looks like they want stupidmoney for a new sensor though so I'm kinda hoping it just needs a bit of TLC, anyone here got any experience of refreshing them, or other ideas?

Got a call from Batman this arvo so went out to help him change a rear sprocket, the allegedly "hardened" aluminium Renthal one he'd only covered a few thousand km on was really badly worn already, it was in worse condition than the OEM ergal one that'd done about 30,000 km on mine!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

Not today but yesterday I took it for its mot and it passed!!!! :shock: 8) couple of advisories for corrosion on rear disc and slight blow on exhaust (he was being quite generous with that one as all 3 of exhaust gasket things are pretty much non existent) I have the replacement gaskets but have been putting it off for about a year :oops:.

The guy doing the test commented on the fact the rear brake is pretty rubbish despite me rebuilding the caliper and replacing the m/c last year. I'm seriously thinking of getting something made up to use a different caliper and m/c, top of the list is either curvy SV caliper and MC or pointy SV caliper and MC basically because I have them in the garage already :roll: :lol:
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Thanks Spyke, congrats Dirtydog - didn't realise you were nearby. I don't know if you ride through the winter but would be good to meet up if you are up for it. I still haven't removed my Datatool alarm or raised rear suspension but about to go for another 100 mile plus trek tomorrow. I managed to get a complete throttle body assy for reasonable money so now have spare tps and injectors plus bodies to play with and will help me understand how to balance as not yet worked out which tubes to remove/block despite reading the workshop manual as it seems a bit confusing to me anyhow.
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

managed to remove Datatool alarm and went for a ride to test plus after learning that I can monitor running temp :doh: (didn't even get a handbook with the bike) have been watching temp while riding with a view to Crap Tartan's notes on curing surge due to low temp. After much riding I can now say that bike is actually dangerous as it 'lurched' twice during a 15 mile run but am homing in on how mine seems to manifest itself (temp was 89 deg during second one). Mine happens below 3k more like 2 to 2.5 - ish and it seems to be when merely touching throttle directly after an overrun - i.e. decellerating while in gear. Have hunch it's a randomly dribbling injector as this would fit symptoms. Have had a few loud explosions in exhaust as well but again, very random and possibly quite normal? Bike is totally stock now. I realise I must cure this as it's going to end in accident otherwise. Have adapted riding to suit and at low speed I now grip the tank hard with my knees and am two-finger braking so I don't let go of bars. It's still fun mostly and I do love a challenge :)
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

I'm lucky if I get time to ride at all these days!

Battery died on it today, luckily (well not lucky for me really) I had just bought a new battery for the SV so that's now in the Raptor and my SV is still battery-less :(
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

now don't faint those who know me and my rappy - BUT I did wash her a bit today, prior to her appointment tomorrow with the nice chaps who are going to fit the sidestand switch and mend the ventura rack.... Not a lot of wash mind you, just a bit, not going too far in case I start wearing one piece leathers and fancy gloves :yawn:
I'll be taking her for her annual bath and ACF50 spray soon as I can nail him down. honest :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Giocast wrote:55 years agomanaged to remove Datatool alarm and went for a ride to test plus after learning that I can monitor running temp :doh: (didn't even get a handbook with the bike) have been watching temp while riding with a view to Crap Tartan's notes on curing surge due to low temp. After much riding I can now say that bike is actually dangerous as it 'lurched' twice during a 15 mile run but am homing in on how mine seems to manifest itself (temp was 89 deg during second one). Mine happens below 3k more like 2 to 2.5 - ish and it seems to be when merely touching throttle directly after an overrun - i.e. decellerating while in gear. Have hunch it's a randomly dribbling injector as this would fit symptoms. Have had a few loud explosions in exhaust as well but again, very random and possibly quite normal? Bike is totally stock now. I realise I must cure this as it's going to end in accident otherwise. Have adapted riding to suit and at low speed I now grip the tank hard with my knees and am two-finger braking so I don't let go of bars. It's still fun mostly and I do love a challenge :)
If you can't find an owner's manual linked here then let us know and I'll scan mine, it should definitely be in the Chapter library. :happyhappy:
Interesting to hear about your surges and your dribbling injector theory as I'm having fueling probs too, might even have to start a new thread about them. :(
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Bless yer heart Spyke - it's nice to find someone is around and i'm not just talking to myself - the scanned wiring diagram you did has been invaluable to me, so Thanks. I am ready to assemble everything up tomorrow so will let you know if i'm successful. It's a lovely bike and would like to keep it but this needs to be addressed as have had several incidents where I thought for a nano-second that I was about to 'crash'. What's made it complicated is the fact that there is already a fuelling glitch as standard (or so i've learnt from this Forum and the German one) so it took me a while to decide either A/Crickey these Cagiva 1000 riders have balls of steel and they are all happy to wrestle with their Raptors each time they ride! or B/no - this is wrong and dangerous. It's definitely B/ I now know as most times it's immediately after a trailing throttle (as I think I said). if it doesn't cure or improve matters then i'm not sure what to try next but again, according to the two Forums, I have many other options to try. Hope yours is going ok : )
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

It's definitely B/ I now know as most times it's immediately after a trailing throttle (as I think I said). if it doesn't cure or improve matters then i'm not sure what to try next
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) adjustment perhaps ? The check for this is done with throttle settings just off idle i.e. a closed throttle, 1200 - 1400 revs. Like yourself I'm just learning about yje 3K glitches, cold fuel maps etc and have also read about TPS lurching issues. Search the forum for TPS tuning whilst I try and find the relevant thread myself.

Andy B
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Yep Andy - just swapped out the TPS for another one but don't think it would cause above symptoms from being misadjusted but have had experiences on cars where TPS is faulty and behaving erratically - it's only a glorified potentiometer innit? : ). What I need to search for is the set-up procedure that is similar to Suzuki - if it exists? as I believe the speedo assembly is a modified Suzuki unit which shows an LCD 'bar' in one of 3 positions to confirm TPS is adjusted correctly = not sure if this is the case but I think i saw a reference to it somewhere.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Here you go have a look at this thread http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 6&start=15

I've not done the procedure myself but from what I can gather you but it into diagnostic mode by shorting a couple of pins and yes, you are correct, you get the bars appearing on the LCD display. Mention is made of using the fast idle lever (choke I assume) to increase the revs - so I'm assuming it moves the throttle position? But is this the same as when moving the throttle position via the actual throttle :?

Enjoy :)
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Thanks Andy that's a great help :) I have taken it for a run with the TPS set up approximately plus we have new cleaned injectors and so far it hasn't done the bucking bronco thing on the overrun so have fingers crossed that main problem has been cured.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Don't all faint at once.... But.....kitty is off to be fixed NEXT WEEK OR SO!!! My old friend and mechanic who retired due to a big crash with Mr Magoo, has kindly offered to sort her out. He is a qualified mc mech, but doesn't trade anymore. He took up teaching the art instead due to his injuries. It's a pleasure for him to take it up, as I haven't seen him for years, but instantly asked why I hadn't mentioned it sooner. It was more because he moved further away from us, and as many of you guys who have offered to help, I don't like people putting themselves out of their way for little old me. He's picking it up in his bike orientated van and we will go from there. I'll be so happy to get on her again and stop hiding int Raptor Chapter shadows!!! :revrev:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Hope it's purring like a.. Dinosaur soon D.B. Alas mine is up for sale already as the bike of my dreams has come up at a price I can't ignore and I have way too many already. Won't be sorry if it doesn't sell as I have come to appreciate why they have such a following now and I think it has as much character as a M*nst*r having owned it a while.