PAIRS removal

General spannery stuff
raptornutt
On the Road

PAIRS removal

Post by raptornutt »

Hi everyone I've just been looking at removing the PAIRS from my raptor,but I'm just wondering if it will make much difference to the running of the the bike and will it still pass the MOT.The bike has standard cans on but I've cut out the guts and put a perforated tube in with wadding packed around it,so it's like a straight through end can.cheers
shedmonkey
APM

Re: PAIRS removal

Post by shedmonkey »

I have had mine removed for a few years and havnt had trouble getting motd
Bit of a Muppet
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I am thinking of doing the pair valve removal soon. Tidies up the engine and loose half a kilo of junk, i did notice the motor on my last bike sounded much "cleaner" with the valve gone. Actually i would like to know if the airbox has to come off and is it just a matter of disconnect and plug up airbox ? I have the pair plates to go on the motor side! Will it throw a fault code in ecu if disconnected ? Thanks :)
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoI am thinking of doing the pair valve removal soon. Tidies up the engine and loose half a kilo of junk, i did notice the motor on my last bike sounded much "cleaner" with the valve gone. Actually i would like to know if the airbox has to come off and is it just a matter of disconnect and plug up airbox ? I have the pair plates to go on the motor side! Will it throw a fault code in ecu if disconnected ? Thanks :)
Not done so up till now on mine. Passed 2 MOT's as well, with no comment.
152/999
raptornutt
On the Road

Post by raptornutt »

hi thanks for that,ive read somewhere on here or the web that you need to keep the solinoid connected to stop a fault code showing?can you get something to plug in instead of the solinoid.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

raptornutt wrote:55 years agohi thanks for that,ive read somewhere on here or the web that you need to keep the solinoid connected to stop a fault code showing?can you get something to plug in instead of the solinoid.
on the sv1000 you could buy a kit and in that kit you got a resistor (plug and play) to fool the ECU that the slenoid was still connected so the FI light doesn't come on.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hi,

Don't think I found a solenoid when I removed mine, just made sure I blanked off all hoses.
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Miz wrote:55 years agoHi,

Don't think I found a solenoid when I removed mine, just made sure I blanked off all hoses.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

my memory isnt very good but i think there was a solenoid to feed vacuum onto the diaphragm valve but i think iirc that i left the solenoid connected and removed every thing else. I made a plastic plug for the bottom of the airbox and just used old bolts(or anything the correct diameter with a plain portion) to blank the hoses and diamond shaped plates for blanking at the exhaust headers(the rear one is abit fiddly)

Some people have suggested drilling and tapping the hole in the head and using an allen screw with a copper washer(i wasnt sure i liked this idea as i have no idea how thick the head is and wouldnt like to risk it)
Bit of a Muppet
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agomy memory isnt very good but i think there was a solenoid to feed vacuum onto the diaphragm valve but i think iirc that i left the solenoid connected and removed every thing else. I made a plastic plug for the bottom of the airbox and just used old bolts(or anything the correct diameter with a plain portion) to blank the hoses and diamond shaped plates for blanking at the exhaust headers(the rear one is abit fiddly)

Some people have suggested drilling and tapping the hole in the head and using an allen screw with a copper washer(i wasnt sure i liked this idea as i have no idea how thick the head is and wouldnt like to risk it)
Is the solenoid the big heavy alien thingy with hall the pipes running into it ?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

No the solenoid is a smallish black thing with 2 small tubes and a electrical plug on the top.
I think the thing you are thinking of is the diaphragm valve which is one of the bits you can take off.
Bit of a Muppet
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoNo the solenoid is a smallish black thing with 2 small tubes and a electrical plug on the top.
I think the thing you are thinking of is the diaphragm valve which is one of the bits you can take off.
ah thanks, then i will probabally leave the solenoid in place then.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years ago
I made a plate out of 6mm aluminium and bolted that in place on the rear,
but tapped the head on the front.
Last edited by Miz on |June 12th, 2014|, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: PAIRS removal question

Post by ozzraptor »

Hi guys, so i removed most of the pair system , blocked off the front tube to airbox and 6mm alloy plates at the cylinders. Have a couple of spares if anyone needs a set. The only tube i am not sure about is the small one at bottom of pair valve, does this just get blocked off as well . Thanks for any info in advance :)
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

yes
Bit of a Muppet