Non starting 1000

General spannery stuff
dirtydog
On the Road

Non starting 1000

Post by dirtydog »

Raptor has been running well recently after I did the tps but the last couple of days it's developed an odd problem.

Most of the time you turn the key and all the relevant list come on and then it starts, but recently it has started playing up. Turn the key and the neutral light comes on but it's fairly dim, the speedo/odo sometimes comes on sometimes doesn't and sometimes just flickers on and off.
The flickering came with a clicking noise which I found was one of the relays a under the seat
These are the ones

So I swapped them around and had the same issue, then replaced with 2 new relays and still the same so next was the multimeter.

I tested the battery and it's voltage is good and when it does decide to start it also charges fine.
I tested the power going to the relay on the left in that picture, when I switch on the ignition and it starts I get 12v going to it, when it does the flickering dash thing it varies between 5.5-7.5volts.

Anyone else had this problem? Any usual places to check for wire chaffing?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Non starting 1000

Post by Crap Tartan »

so what voltage is the battery at when ignition on, engine not running?
and then with the engine running at over 1500 revs?
nil illigitimae carborundum
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

With ignition on and engine off it's at about 12.5v at idle it's about 14.5v and when I rev it up it goes to 15v
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Sounds like battery and charging system are ok so chasing earth connections is the most likely culprit.
With it being intermittent doesnt help but start there and just check every earth connection, giving the wire a little wiggle to see if it makes a differance?
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

I hate intermittent problems :angry: !

I was hoping it would be a common problem that someone had come across before
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Knackered battery, duff side stand switch, clogged fuel pump etc, etc, etc

common problems but not yours................... :? :wink: :doh: :(
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Don't rule out the ignition switch, check the resistances through it, and see if they are consistent on multiple switchings
152/999
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Spray a load of switch cleaner into the kill switch :ride: on the bars?
Twisted Tequila Sister
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

Well today I finally did something about this after getting grief at 545 one morning when it wouldn't start :angry: :angry: and then a bit more grief because the car is broken as well :angry: :angry:

So decided to start with the ignition switch. Took it off the bike which was surprisingly easy :shock:

Then stripped it apart to see if there was anything amiss inside, have read a few articles online about issues with the ignition switch on bmw f650 (which is similar to the raptors but less wires) where one of the wires comes off and needs re soldering.
Stripped apart and there were no obvious breaks but it was a little unpleasant in there, green and slimy :sick: a bit of verdigris from the copper contacts where some water has got in.

The contacts before I cleaned them...

And all of it cleaned and a little dog of grease where needed

Re assembled and have turned it on and off a few times and it seems to have done the trick :thumbsup: but I'll try a few times over the weekend just to make sure.

Now just have to finish fixing the van and see if the car is now scrap or if it can be saved :(
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

Typically I've just been out to give it a try and nothing! Get the neutral light but that's it, no speedo display, no starting
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

The before pics don't look too bad, but glad it's ok now. Did the springs behind the contacts seem ok?
Bit of a Muppet
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

Yeah the springs seemed fine, all were even and were quite strong.

Going to have to start tracing cables tomorrow :x
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

How old is your battery ?
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

Battery is only a couple of years old but I don't think it's the battery causing the issue as I've had it hooked up to a new battery and the same happens
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I would think either a dodgy connection in a plug/socket somewhere or broken wire around the headstock which could be invisible on the surface of the wire. But check for any damage around the harness. Might be totally off the rails here but check the safety thing which looks like a dummy plug under the seat it operates the safety/side stand relay.

Sorry about the last post but I must have written it at the same time as you did
Bit of a Muppet