What coolant

General spannery stuff
JimBo
On the Road

What coolant

Post by JimBo »

Hi everyone

I'm replacing the coolant in my 1000 and have gone colour blind!
The stuff that came out is blue, but the new stuff I have is green.

It's green because the manual for my ZZR1400(ZX14) insists on it being green and I have some already made up 50/50. So, is it OK to use it in my Raptor?

Thanks.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: What coolant

Post by Crap Tartan »

colour should make no difeerance as long as its at least the same spec as original.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I thought I'd been told that you're not to mix red with green, i.e. once you go green you won't be able to top up with red, but I'm running very well with green. Last time I was in that section in "Halfords" they actually had a rainbow of colours, but as I've always been happy enough with green I haven't bothered researching what the various colour codes mean.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

In my enduro and trial bikes i use Engine Ice. Maybe a good idea in a raptor too.

http://www.engineice.com/uses/street.html
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoI thought I'd been told that you're not to mix red with green,
I've heard same thing too, I think best thing to do is drain whole system empty and fill with 50/50 mix.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Thanks everyone. I think I'm OK using the coolant I have as the rad is off ready for a good clean so no problem with mixing my coolants. I'll flush through with clean water before filling with 50/50.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

JimBo wrote:55 years agoThanks everyone. I think I'm OK using the coolant I have as the rad is off ready for a good clean so no problem with mixing my coolants. I'll flush through with clean water before filling with 50/50.
:thumbsup:
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

I changed to red, but cannot remember why. Maybe it gave less corrosion for a given period: I was obsessing about that back then. Anyway, I've been googling about something related to radiators and coolant, and it does seem essential to be using distilled water. Oops. :oops:
I just used tap water (I probably boiled it first, though, and yes, I do know that's not the same as distilling :P )
Since my radiator was changed a couple of years ago I think it's probably time to change the coolant. I'll refill using distilled this time. Ho, hum…
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Red is normally long life. 5 years I think.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Looks like i have another job to do. I have original coolant, it doesnt seem to go down at all, should i change it now its getting on to 11 years old :oops:
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoits getting on to 11 years old :oops:
:shock:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Any chance you could pH test the coolant that's in her before you throw it out? And/or do the voltmeter thing as per the vid in Bears post on sacrificial anodes? I'd be interested to see what really old coolant is like, and if you've got a pool (or a friend with one) I think the pH strips are quite common.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoAny chance you could pH test the coolant that's in her before you throw it out? And/or do the voltmeter thing as per the vid in Bears post on sacrificial anodes? I'd be interested to see what really old coolant is like, and if you've got a pool (or a friend with one) I think the pH strips are quite common.
At the moment it just looks like " coolant" i guess its possible the previous owner changed the coolant but no way of really telling?