Whilst doing valve clearances....

General spannery stuff
yeah!
On the Road

Whilst doing valve clearances....

Post by yeah! »

Howdi !!

First time for me to check the valve clearances on my 1000. Do I need to replace the rocker cover gaskets? The bike's done about 38,000kms. Do I add a bit of gasket goo to any particular rocker cover part?... And if I need to order shims and lift the cams, any life saving tips for me please? and thank you!!!!! soon I'll balance the fuel injection throttle valves, again for the first time on any bike. Don't feel obligated to fly over from England or Finland to help....although you can if you want to....
V4mp
On the Road

Re: Whilst doing valve clearances....

Post by V4mp »

yeah! wrote:55 years agoHowdi !!

First time for me to check the valve clearances on my 1000. Do I need to replace the rocker cover gaskets? The bike's done about 38,000kms. Do I add a bit of gasket goo to any particular rocker cover part?... And if I need to order shims and lift the cams, any life saving tips for me please? and thank you!!!!! soon I'll balance the fuel injection throttle valves, again for the first time on any bike. Don't feel obligated to fly over from England or Finland to help....although you can if you want to....
First download the workshop manual, you should succeed with it. ;)
You need to replace camcover gasket if it doesnt fit properly after clearance check. Check clearances first and buy shims then if you even need shims.
I can recommend to do tps check before throttle body balance way easier :D
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

See attached pdf of a cracking how to taken from one of the TLR message boards - and keep us inofrmed on how it goes as I'll be checking mine at the end of the year.

BTW I did read somewhere that just check the rear clearances and if they're OK then the front one will be too. Not sure I could leave it unchecked mind.

Damn, the file is too large let me see what I can do.

Andy B
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Aha! found the original thread http://www.tlzone.net/forums/performanc ... ances.html

The doc download link for it is on reply #36 at the end.

Enjoy !

Andy B
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Thanks, pdf saved for future ref!
Twisted Tequila Sister
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Thank you three very much

Yeah!!!!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Aye cheers all, this is something I also need to get around to...
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Well I’ve just completed the first stage of checking and adjusting the valve clearances and rather than add to the detailed instructions here are a couple of tips that others may find useful.

It’s entirely possible to do the work by not removing the radiator or tank but access would be much easier if you do. I did a dry run beforehand just to check my sockets/wrenches etc would fit ok with the tank/rad in situ. EDIT - I did have to remove the fan to provide enough access.

The cam diagram on page B7 of the manual shows their respective TDC positions and is worth memorising. The F/T mark indicates the front pot TDC and 270 degrees further on (anti clockwise as seen from the LHS) the R/T mark indicates the rear pot TDC.

The cams are removed from the front pot when it’s at TDC i.e. the F/T mark BUT the rear cams are removed when it is 90 degrees AFTER it’s TDC i.e. the F/T mark again - 270 to R/T plus 90 is 360. This didn’t initially seem obvious, to me at least, and is easily missed in the Italian portion of the manual on page D24 (which also has a cam diagram that lines up with one of the photos in the pdf). Reference to the valve timing chart on page D87 also helps.

If your memory is as bad as mine it’s worth removing only one of the cams at a time when measuring the shims and then replacing it, along with the measured shims, before working on the other cam. The timing marks on the gear end make things so easy.

A dob of grease on a finger tip allows a shim to be picked up and easily replaced on the valve stem end. Paranoia still caused me to replace the spark plug and cover any holes the shim might disappear down. Something you really just don't want to happen :doh:

The whole operation took most of the day as I purposely took my time but the work wasn’t difficult at all. I found it really helpful to do my homework before hand and have a tidy & organised garage – definitely a first for me. A £4 plastic stool to sit on when working was probably the best tool investment I made.

So onto the measurements themselves. The engine has done 16.5k and all the clearances were within tolerance but at the lower end of the range with 3 inlets @ 0.11 & 2 exhausts @ 0.20. With the rest all below half way I may as well re-shim them all now it’s apart. Seven shims bought, to allow for any measuring errors, and may use 4 of the original ones.

Next up will be TPS & throttle body balancing.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

16K miles later and just checked the clearances again. All are within tolerances with all the inlets unchanged and all the exhausts tightening up a touch.