Brake Caliper Overhaul (expertise level NOVICE)

General spannery stuff
HiFi
On the Road

Brake Caliper Overhaul (expertise level NOVICE)

Post by HiFi »

Hello fellow Rappy Heads :ride:
Just had the V-rap MOTd (it passed, yay) but there were advisories on both the front and rear brakes. Apparently the pistons are a bit sticky so there is fluctuation in braking effort as the disc spins. Think of a needle tracking a warped 33rpm LP but skipping a bit. The MOT guy said it's likely because the bike has been so rarely used lately :oops: the piston seals have gone a bit hard. Anyway he said they could overhaul the calipers for loads of $$$ but being both a tightwad and kind of curious I thought, "why don't I try it myself".
So the question is would this be the sort of job that could be tackled at home by a fairly sympathetic amateur, OK with the spanners but lacking experience? Am I going to have trouble with ordering (rare) parts? I've got the service manual from here at the ready and have previously changed a rear master cylinder which went OK after I got to grips with bleeding it properly. [The reason I hesitate a bit is that this swap was a bit fraught because the ally bracket stripped its thread removing the caliper].
Should I replace pads with sintered ones while I'm at it as I suspect the OEM ones are still on there..... :mrgreen:
Any advice gratefully received!
Xavz
On the Road

Re: Brake Caliper Overhaul (expertise level NOVICE)

Post by Xavz »

I stripped my rear caliper a couple of weeks ago, was suprisingly easy once its off the bike and on a work bench!

Not sure about getting seal kits though, i did look online and found some on ebay (australia, but not sure of quality) wemoto uk has a lot of bits but not sure about seal kits, maybe worth emailing them.
:ride: :ride: Go Big or Go Home :ride: :ride: