Welding......

General spannery stuff
Dapper dan
On the Road

Welding......

Post by Dapper dan »

Hi.

I've just picked up my new xtra rap, was a stolen recovered purchase.
Theyve done the ignition lock and broken off one of the lugs which hold the ignition in place. ....has anyone fixed one of these??? I don't have the missing lug unfortunately. .....
What metal should I use to replace the lug? (I'm guessing it's steel??) Is it a special welder required as I'm not even sure what the frame is made out of?
Should I even bother as ive got one good lug?
Cheers
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Welding......

Post by shebee »

I would get another one on there, if only to limit the ease of nickability again, i cant remember does it bolt onto the frame or is it actually attached? If it is welded to the main frame then i would get a decent elder to do it to limit the heat risk to the main frame?
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Pretty sure there is a welded on to the frame threaded boss that the bolt goes into.

Should be easy enough to make one and get it welded in place. The frame is steel I`m pretty sure.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Cheers for the reply guys!

I'll post up some piccys tomorrow.

I've still got one of the threaded lugs in place so I can bolt down one side if the ignition....but obviously I'd prefer to have two sides and a working lock!

It's gotta be welded on definitely....it just looked a bit weird where it's was snapped.. ..might be because its been broken off that the metal exposed looked a bit pitted....thought the frame could of been made of alloy and would require TIG weld.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

The frames are definitely steel, if there's a spot on your frame where the paint has been scratched off you'll notice rust, and alloy doesn't rust. Putting a magnet on it will also prove it's steel. A good welder should be able to weld that lug back on with a MIG welder, but I'd check the quality of some of their welding on something else before you let him weld on your fame. They'll need to do a small quick weld like the rest of the welds on the frame to minimize heat distortion.

If you are ever trying to work out what metal something is made of you do a spark test with a grinder, different metals produce different sparks, and alloy produces no sparks. http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/241/the ... g-metals-2

I'm a Trade Qualified Boilermaker/Welder/Aluminium Fabricator.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Workshop manual says frame is high-tensile tubular steel. 8)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

All sorted....found a decent blank..drilled, tapped and tagged it on the frame....sits beautifully...so should fall off next week! :revrev:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:lol: :lol:
Dapper dan wrote: 7 years ago All sorted....found a decent blank..drilled, tapped and tagged it on the frame....sits beautifully...so should fall off next week! :revrev:
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Dapper dan wrote: 7 years ago All sorted....found a decent blank..drilled, tapped and tagged it on the frame....sits beautifully...so should fall off next week! :revrev:
It'll be FINE, it will it will it will :mrgreen:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>