P-air/Pulsed air system removal

General spannery stuff
nickst4
On the Road

P-air/Pulsed air system removal

Post by nickst4 »

Just thought I'd run this past you-all.

Suzuki fitted a pulsed-air system to many of their bikes, presumably to reduce unburnt hydrocarbon/NOx emmisions. I removed it from the VL800 motor fitted to my old Sachs b-805 simply to tidy the bike up and removal had absolutely no effect on the bike. Posters here have, in the past, blamed the system for causing popping in the exhaust but that may well have been due to fitment of aftermarket cans.

The reason I'm considering defeating it on my standard-exhaust Raptor 1000 is to see if exhaust pipe header discolouration is reduced. When I took the pipes off to get them polished, I was amazed at how hot-running the deposits were in the side of the exhaust ports that have the air bleed into it; dead white versus black on the other wall! Obviously, the exhaust gas heats up in the header and the P-air may be why my lovely polished pipes changed colour in a matter of minutes at idle! Cagiva didn't fit double-walled pipes, of course.

Easy enough to defeat the system when conditions outside are suitable for riding a clean and tidy bike! :nod:

Nick, UK