Exhaust discolouration

General spannery stuff
nickst4
On the Road

Exhaust discolouration

Post by nickst4 »

I think I got the word for this from our old posts and found valuable info related to it on you-tube, so it may be of interest.

Stainless pipes (headers) on the Raptors rapidly oxidise to a dreadful mud colour, even if they've been polished. There's a special spray called OptiGlanz that lifts the brown off, and it costs upwards of £20. Apparently, the significant constituent is hydrochloric acid, and shouldn't be left on for more than a few minutes.

However, for the modest price of £1.69 or less, you can buy the same active ingredient (HCl) in a toilet cleaner: Harpic Power-Plus Max! Better yet; it's a gel and can be painted on, so there is no overspray. Again, the effect is quick, the real coffee-like encrustation fizzing off. The thinner brown stain comes away less quickly and needs some help with wire wool or similar but the result is definitely worthwhile, especially if followed by Solvol polish.

I guess nothing is going to stop the pipes going brown again, but at least you can have them looking better for a while. To me, the exhausts are a major styling feature of any bike and Cagiva did us proud with the original cans even if they aren't loud enough for some people, so it's good to be able to get the header pipes to match.

Nick
Attachments
P1030786 Harpic.jpg
P1030786 Harpic.jpg (245.81 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Exhaust discolouration

Post by shebee »

I shall try that on the HD pipes... after spending many miles getting the exhaust the same blue as the paint i had to replace the pipes and went for stainless... i have tried and tried and they wont go blue :roll: ... so its either paint the bike off yellow brown or clean them :shock:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Dapper dan
On the Road

Re: Exhaust discolouration

Post by Dapper dan »

Great tip..... :happyhappy:
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup: