Clutch diagnosis? ??

General spannery stuff
Dapper dan
On the Road

Re: Clutch diagnosis? ??

Post by Dapper dan »

Took the bike for a quick zip about and it's still slipping a bit, not as bad!

I intitally dunked the rings in semi synthetic.

I'll do a full oil change for mineral and see where we go from there...might change the springs and uprate.

Anyone got any spring choices they've tried?
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

When you say "dunked" the plates in oil, what do you mean and for how long?

Would be a good idea to put the plates in a tub of oil for a day to allow the oil to soak into the plates, or alternatively, keep riding (but easy on the gas/clutch) and the plates will get plenty of oil.
152/999
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Cleaned and redunked the plates in semi synthetic motorbike oil this time!
Have loaded up the plates.....torqued the nuts to 7ftlbs.

Put a bit of gasket sealent around the case...and bolted back on!

Slackened off the clutch adjuster at the lever......
Losened the actuator nut....screwed in the flat head screw in until I felt it touch.....then backed it off a 1/4 of a turn...then tightened up the actuator nut.
(Does this all sound correct???)

Now the clutch feels quite stiff indeed! I've not taken the bike out as it's lashing down......question is how err..stiff is your clutch???. I don't remember my last raptor being that stiff..I know the simple thing to do is start it and go for a ride....but while I'm sat here I'm puzzling if everything's ok????
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds^ about right if my memory serves correctly, how's the cable? Does that maybe need a dab of three in one? Yes my clutch is a tad stiff but I reckon it's the cable on mine possibly needs another new one.
I reckon half the problem is that your bike hasn't got to real run-in mileage yet, it's only just past first service stage and standing ain't good (makes my back ache - fact)
Riding will ease everything, it's like Vicks, solves a myriad of what ails you 😂😎😷
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Still no clutch hook up! :angry:
Took the clutch cover off AGAIN! :angry:

Looked at the clutch....then realised I had a 10mm gap caused by the push rod... :doh: ....so easy peas , quickly took off the 6 bolt clutch thingy....backed off the push rod with the screw adjuster the other side.....put the clutch thingy back on....torqued the bolts upto 7ftlbs.
Screwed the adjuster in on the actuator. ..backed it off 1/4 of a turn and locked the nut off........

This my fine friends is the recipe for a working clutch! :tada:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

And does it?
Work?
SnappY
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Yep..it sure does...action is smooth....Lever is great!
Clutch locks up perfectly even with a handful...no slip to be found anywhere! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:thumbsup: Reeeeezult :dance:
SnappY
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Good news!

So maybe the stiff lever action was more down to the mechanism being out of the designed geometric alignment?

Useful thread this, because I now know which of my stock oils to put in the Raptor when I come to change whatever stuff the PO had put in just before I bought it. By the way, is there a mileage on these motors where they seem to free off and sing even better? 25K is the bed-in figure for decent Ducati engines as in the ST series (and no snide remarks about whether any of them ever make it to that! :evil: ).

Nick
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

nickst4 wrote: 6 years ago Good news!
-//- By the way, is there a mileage on these motors where they seem to free off and sing even better? 25K is the bed-in figure for decent Ducati engines as in the ST series
My word it's such a long time ago I hardly remember, 7k for bedding in, but 16k for some singing I think (it was a loooong time ago) I think with Dapper Dan's low mileage beastie the first step was spread over so many years that its a case of 'treat as new'
SnappY
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Yep..it sure does...action is smooth....Lever is great!
Clutch locks up perfectly even with a handful...no slip to be found anywhere! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hurrah! and if it's anything like mine this will be the perfect time for the push rod oil seal to start weeping...