Clutch diagnosis? ??

General spannery stuff
Dapper dan
On the Road

Clutch diagnosis? ??

Post by Dapper dan »

So..This is the story...I took my xtra rap out for a quick shake down prior to taking it to an MOT on Monday :naughty: and the clutch was slipping for a few seconds and then locks up nicely :rant:

The bike has been stood for approx 18months and this is its first time it's been run.
It's covered only 8k mlies since new....so think it's a bit early for a new clutch....but don't know what the previous owners were like.....anybody got any tips /knowledge? :bollocking:
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
Dapper dan
On the Road

Re: Clutch diagnosis? ??

Post by Dapper dan »

I've adjusted the cable right back incase it was a bit preloaded ...but no good!
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Think I've possibly sorted it.....whipped the cover off as it was just annoying me....plates were in great condition, hardly any wear to mention....but....they were dry as a bone apart from about a quarter of the radius.

Now ..I don't know tons about clutches...but I'm sure they have to be nice and wet :P when installed to work correctly, so my guess is because the bike hasn't been used for 18 months or so.....and only 8k on the clocks suggest it's had hardly any repeated usage and dried itself out.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree could somone be kind enough to say "ye knows nothing, and the problem is...!" :bollocking:

At the moment the plates are in a bucket of oil for 24hrs having a damn good soak! :happyhappy:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Make sure you are using a bike oil? Bike oil is designed for wet clutches and Car oil is too slippy(not the correct technical term). The only other thing would be the springs going soft.
Bit of a Muppet
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Ah ....now there we might have a problem as ive dunked them in 10/40...have I screwed them up??? :oops:
What oil should be used in a rap?? Semi..fully??
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

You can use semi or fully synth but it must be a bike type oil. I don't think dipping the plates in normal stuff would cause a problem. It used to be said that it wasn't a good idea using full synthetic in an old engine as it can work its way past the rings more easily.
Bit of a Muppet
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Yep you need to use the correct oil. 10/40 semi I think but as shed says you have to use bike oil. My mate done an oil change on a 6 month old cbr and used the wrong oil and the clutch slipped. He changed it for the proper oil and it was fine.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Cheers guys! Great advice! :thumbsup:
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Can I pick your knowledge pockets again please..... :D

After a stressful day at work I decided to put the clutch back together......
Can you guess what's coming next! !!!
I put it all back in reverse order, the last plate was off set one notch (as per 2 videos I saw on tl1000s on YouTube)
Put springs and bolts back in to what I presume was 7lbs torque (have a torque wrench but it's a big one and settings that low are not that precise, but it sure wasn't alot )
Cover went back on with a small spread of grease around the sealing ring.......
Pulled the clutch in and it's as limp as heck..Nothing going on.....and the clutch seems to drag whilst moving the bike.......

Now I'm thinking I may have moved the rod in the middle of the basket, or I've put plates in wrong, or tightened the springs too much??? Any ideas before I strip it down again? :rant: :rant:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Prob going to have to strip it again. what do you mean drag while moving the bike?
Bit of a Muppet
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Could the chain be catching the release arm? Have you got that on right or has it moved too far round?
Bit of a Muppet
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Sorry..Just clarify the dragging....
when the bikes in gear the clutch feels like it is engaged by itself ...and the bike when pushed along feels like it dragging so the clutch isn't fully engaged either...
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

norrie wrote: 7 years ago Yep you need to use the correct oil. 10/40 semi I think but as shed says you have to use bike oil. My mate done an oil change on a 6 month old cbr and used the wrong oil and the clutch slipped. He changed it for the proper oil and it was fine.
Just a further caveat learned from bitter experience with wet-clutch Ducatis and a wet-clutch Suzuki VX800: not even supposedly-fine bike oils will perform without clutch slip. On three bikes, I've had to wash a semi-synth Morris bike oil off the plates and refill with their V-twin mineral bike oil. Of course, Morris remained adamant that their semi-synth was perfect for the job, but the Cagiva Alazzurra went from zero-slip on Morris V-twin mineral oil to massive slip on Morris Sport-4 semi-synth and back to no slip at all on Morris V-twin. I'd only changed the oil type to rationalise the stocks of oil I keep! Don't believe all you are told... :?

Nick, Norfolk
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Crikey. ..never knew oil and clutches were so subtle. :geek:

Quick update on my initial problem.....stripped it all down again and stuck it all back together.....everything feels fine with the lever again.. :nod: :suspect:
(If anyone wants a great youtube video to watch checkout the two guys changing a tl1000s clutch, don't think your great Aunt would appreciate the language )

Wanted to take it out for a trial ride, but as it was hammering with hail :cold: I thought if was best to consult the Kettle for wisdom! :yawn:

Cheers for all the advice, Raptor Chapter is a great crew! :dance: :thumbsup:
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Suzuki TL 1000 S clutch prefers mineral oil meant for motorcycles. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !