Suspension work

General spannery stuff
nickst4
On the Road

Suspension work

Post by nickst4 »

Not really a new topic, but I thought it might get more attention!

I'm looking into upgrades for the Raptor1000. Has anyone made a significant difference to the compliance and bump-absorption of the forks? I see comment from earlier posts about the possibility of fitting Matris cartridges and noted a Raptor on ebay listed as having had that mod, but does anyone still active here have experience of that brand?

I've put a rebound-adjustable Tuono shock on my bike but it is still too harsh for my tastes, possibly because the spring rate is just too high for a light bike and light rider. My local suspension shop could probably supply a better spring, but maybe there are dampers out there which simply work better all round. I've seen comments that the much-reverred Ohlins are too race-track biassed and that Matris products work better, forks and shocks, for average road use.

The Raptor is such a good bike otherwise that I feel it's worth the expense of improving the ride.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction! :nod:

Nick
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Suspension work

Post by Crap Tartan »

I have a hagon unit on the back, much better than the original, 8 year old now and still looks new and works fine. Fully rebuildable and reasonable prices from hagon.
On the front I have an R1 front forks with yam brakes and that is dramastically better than the originals. Early R1's had very compliant and massively adjustable front forks fitted so they can go from comfy settee to track bike with ease!
nil illigitimae carborundum
Westerntrucker

Post by Westerntrucker »

Hi there
New member here I’ve been searching for rear shock length as I may have found a suitable shock but need to confirm length trying to avoid ripping my bike apart
Cheers
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Hi WesternT,

If I can attach it, here are the dimensions of the standard Raptor shock measured for the purposes of getting a Matris version. The length is, of course, from the centre of the upper eye to that of the lower one. Be aware that any valving arrangements at the lower end will likely foul the suspension links, as space is restricted unless you go for different links/dog-bones
Attachments
BikeTorqueRacing Matris shock spec for Cagiva Raptor 1000.doc
Raptor 1000 shock dimensions
(22 KiB) Downloaded 240 times