Front brake pads

General spannery stuff
Dapper dan
On the Road

Front brake pads

Post by Dapper dan »

What's everyone using brake pad wise? ???

My pads are new..bedded in by 150 miles. ..but feel is dodgy at best...fully bled lines etc....but I just dont feel any real grab at the disc.. brake lever is firm..no air in the system.
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
Dapper dan
On the Road

Re: Front brake pads

Post by Dapper dan »

I'm using gold carbon ceramic.....just incase anyone is using the same with better results......
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Cant help really as I have R1 brakes along with the R1 forks fitted.
The main reason I changed the calipers too is the standard brembo calipers are not the greatest and always felt a bit wooden even from new.
nil illigitimae carborundum
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Dapper dan wrote: 6 years ago I'm using gold carbon ceramic.....just incase anyone is using the same with better results......
If you mean GoldFren AD ceramic carbon, they are my go-to pad choice for all my bikes: HH-spec but not as aggressive as EBC HH, and they work well in the Brembos on the ST4. They were the only pad that could make the early braking system on the Cagiva Alazzurra work adequately.

Having said that, I don't know what's in the Raptor but they aren't Goldfren yet...

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

At first I had some sort of cheapo pads on the OEM brembo discs but these were unsatisfactory with little initial bite or much else to recommend.

The pads were changed to EBCs (forget which type) and initially they gave more bite & overall strength but this then faded over time & miles. They were still adequate but it felt there was some sort of "glazing" going on.

I've now replaced the discs with EBCs & paired them with sintered brembo pads. These are giving a much better initial bite and overall strength. Time will tell whether this continues.
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Thanks for all your info....
R1 fork exchange I'd be keen to do..but as my forks are adjustable on the extra with a steering damper I'm loathed to change them..especially as I'm a bit of a purist.🐴

I'll try the pad change first and see how that goes..then onto the discs........the I'll buy a rope and an anchor!💣
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Dapper dan wrote: 6 years ago Thanks for all your info....
R1 fork exchange I'd be keen to do..but as my forks are adjustable on the extra with a steering damper I'm loathed to change them..especially as I'm a bit of a purist.🐴
Get internals replaced. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've now replaced the discs with EBCs & paired them with sintered brembo pads. These are giving a much better initial bite and overall strength. Time will tell whether this continues.
Update - the Brembo & EBC combo worked splendidly and retained their initial bite with good strong controlled power from there on. However..... after 8K miles both the pads & discs where knackered. 'kin 8k !! :shock: !!

I suppose I do use the brakes a fair bit on my commute mainly when filtering by blatting past a couple of cars, braking, blatting past a couple, braking... ad nauseum. But even so.

Now trying an EBC sintered & EBC disc combo.

I suppose you can't have longevity & performance. :(
Dapper dan2
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan2 »

Thanks for the update.

Mine are still wooden so will look to replace discs with EBC as you recommend.

Also levers are pretty poor for my short stubby didgits...going to invest in some adjustable levers.

I've seen some cheapo ones on EBay for £25 odd ...maybe worth a punt....it could break and punt me into a truck...... :doh:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've seen some cheapo ones on EBay for £25 odd ...maybe worth a punt
Could they be the same as the ones Nick mentions in this thread http://raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.p ... ers#p36547 ?

Because if so I have used a pair (daily) for the last 6 months or so and have had no problems with them at all.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

andybaggies wrote: 6 years ago
I've seen some cheapo ones on EBay for £25 odd ...maybe worth a punt
Could they be the same as the ones Nick mentions in this thread http://raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.p ... ers#p36547 ?

Because if so I have used a pair (daily) for the last 6 months or so and have had no problems with them at all.
I thought I'd sent a reply to speak up for the Hong Kong-sourced brake/clutch levers, but it seems to have gone astray. Whatever, they are superb and adorn several of my bikes. Perfect fit and function: what's not to like? :thumbsup:

Nick