oil leak at filter ?

General spannery stuff
ZARaptor

oil leak at filter ?

Post by ZARaptor »

Morning everyone! Greeting from sunny South Africa.
I noticed a small puddle of oil under the bike this morning, that turned into a dribble when I started her. After cleaning the area it seems to be coming from where the oil filter screws on... I tightened it another 1/8 turn by hand but the drip seems to be the same. Anyone else have a similar issue ? The oil filter was changed about 9 months ago and no issues since...
Anyway I'll go get a new filter and see if that solves the issue but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced similar -- its my first time and any car or bike ...

Cheers,
Dean.
snapdragon

Re: oil leak at filter ?

Post by snapdragon »

Before you start going ahead with your oil and filter change, it could be worthwhile cleaning the whole oil cooler area down and checking there's no leaks coming from the hose connectors, I've had to change out banjo seals on mine in the past few months, and it was a pain when I found seal leaks After I'd drained the old oil out and refilled with new. :rant:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: oil leak at filter ?

Post by andybaggies »

I've had the oil cooler itself spring a leak from, if I recall correctly, the welded seam at the bottom rather than a stone chip in the mesh.

Replaced with a second hand TL cooler.

Andy B