Swingarm removal

General spannery stuff
dtpeebles65

Swingarm removal

Post by dtpeebles65 »

Hi Experts,
I want to remove the swing arm and hangars on my 2000 Raptor 1000 to have them repainted so it'll look better for Spring ....
Never done it before so any advice on how to remove the least amount of bits would be welcomed.
Are any special tools needed ?
Also, what is the best way to "support" the bike while I am doing this ?
Dave T
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Swingarm removal

Post by nickst4 »

Thankfully, I've not had to remove the swingarm on mine, but I did take the hangers off to get them powder-coated in polished-alloy silver which really brightened the bike up.

Something to note is that the bolts that attach the hangers have rather shallow sockets in their mushroom heads and it is easy to round them out before they come loose. Choose your best-fitting hex tool and maybe add some packing like baking foil or even grinding paste. Perhaps even better would be to use a manual impact screwdriver that ensures the hex is forced right down in the socket while torque is applied.

Once you have the hangers refinished, you'll be looking around for a protective film to preserve the paint! :nod:

Good luck!

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Well, strangely enough I'm looking to do the same over the festive break and have done some early musings.

I normally use an Abba stand but can't in this instance as it uses the swingarm pivot points :doh: They do do kits that allow it to be attached to an appropriate hanger bolt but... double :doh:

So I've been farting about trying to first put it on the Abba & then using a made up a wooden block, which has cut outs for the sump plug and other finning, that sits nice & flat on the underside of the engine. I can then support this block with a length of stout plank with jacks on either end. And if needed perhaps a ratchet strap holding it steady somewhere...

However when it's on the stand the engine is tilting forward slightly which is good from the perspective of keeping weight on the front but it is tough to take into account with the bodged blocks/planks/jacks assembly.

Also note the exhaust system needs to be removed as the rear header goes 'through' the swingarm and the rear bolts are pigs for access.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Ooh, one thing I forgot is the need for a swingarm castle nut socket. I managed to source one from ebay a couple of years back but I've just checked & they don't sell them anymore.

There is one seller, gbmotorcycleproducts, who do ones for loads of other bikes & perhaps they may do a one off special given the dimensions.
dtpeebles65

Post by dtpeebles65 »

Thanks guys for the useful information including the things to watch out for.

I was also thinking of the polished stainless look for the hangars as you are correct - it is a bit dull.

Whoever came up with brown seat ... and dark wheels !

Ah well ! chocks and jacks to start off with and then the exhaust removal which worries me somewhat .....

Dave T
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Dave, when I replaced the rear header lower gasket (to the rest of the exhaust system) it was possible to remove just the front header pipe (& silencers) and leave the rear header in situ. This should then allow the swingarm to drop down and out. A little, ahem coercing, is required getting it back in place mind, see http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 541#p37541

However you remove the exhaust I doubt you will be able to do it if it's supported from under the engine. And when on the side stand you might find the swingarm will get in the way of the rear header union clamp. :( What ever happened to centre stands? :angry:

BTW I've measured my castle nut socket and it's OD is 38 mm, ID of 30 mm with the lugs on mine being a little too short at 3 mm deep.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

dtpeebles65 wrote: 6 years ago I was also thinking of the polished stainless look for the hangars as you are correct - it is a bit dull.
Dave T

Hi Dave,

Check out my bike under 'Silver Dream Machine' or somesuch and you can see the effect of the hanger powder-coating in 'polished alloy'. (Of course, you could just polish the alloy anyway, but it has a very coarse surface and would still corrode after hours and hours of work). If you are anywhere near Essex, then the firm I used is very good. Details under another Raptor 1K post...

Nick