Side Stand Mod

General spannery stuff
HiFi
On the Road

Side Stand Mod

Post by HiFi »

Hi everyone, bit more advice needed if you please :D
The x-rap seems to sit very upright on its side stand, noticeably more than my old v-rap, I guess it's because of the different shock and triangles? Anyway it looks very vulnerable and maybe prone to falling over if knocked so I was wondering about modifying the stand. Am I right in thinking that putting a bend in it such that the pointed end is further out from the bike will achieve this? Any advice on how much to bend it and how to go about it? Was thinking about blow torch, vice and bit of pipe but you might have better ideas!
Thanks much appreciated. HF.
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Side Stand Mod

Post by andybaggies »

If the bike is sitting more upright on the stand (on level ground) I would have thought it's an indication the bike is sitting lower on it's suspension. Saggy springs & damping perhaps?
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I thought the X-Raptor was supplied with taller, better-quality suspension? Maybe the bike has been deliberately lowered.
On my standard Rap1K, the angle on the sidestand was also a bit iffy and upright, and it made it much more stable when I raised the shock linkage. That's the only bike I've played with that didn't need an extra sole-plate beneath the sidestand. If you can access the shock spring abutment without taking all the skin off your knuckles, less sag would help. I'd be wary of bending the sidestand in case it doesn't then stow away properly, quite apart from the risk of weakening it, but it could be worth a try. The tip might not lie flat to the ground though, and be prone to dig in.

Good luck!

Nick
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I took my sidestand off, cut the foot off, ground away about 15mm from the stand and welded the foot back on!

smoothed it all off and worked perfect. once new paint on it couldnt tell it had been messed with.

I no longer have it fitted as I have a sidecar on the bike these days
nil illigitimae carborundum
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Hi mate, i had a spare stand so thought i may experiment :roll: chopped the stand about 20mm and welded in a M10 bolt so its adjustable depending on where you park, just need to finish it off . I think the stand is definitely too long compared with other bikes i have had,even the added 5mm of ride height on the xtra doesn't make a lot of difference. This is now 5mm shorter than standard, can go more or back to original height + I think once its p/coated it will look ok, for a backyard jobby anyway :D
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:happyhappy: nice bit engineering :woot:
Twisted Tequila Sister
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Hey thanks, scrubbed up ok with some black powdercoat in the end,all for the pricely fee of $5. :happyhappy:
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Oz, that's the first Vee-Raptor I've liked the look of! I think it's mostly to do with the higher-level exhaust which balances the droopy snoot much better than the OEM version ever did. Have you got more pics to delight us with? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Nick in wet muddy Norfolk
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I think it's mostly to do with the higher-level exhaust
And where did you get the exhaust from?
susibee
On the Road

Post by susibee »

Oz, What a gorgeous looking machine :toocool:

I'm with Nick,

MORE PICS PLEASE :D
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

That is a very nice solution to the sidestand issue, might see if there's a second hand one about and try it myself! Great idea it being adjustable to the terrain :nod: An I'm with the majority, more pics please....
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I will get some more photos of its more photogenic side :roll: . I try to keep the bike as original looking as possible as i already like the xraptor but not the oem exhaust and blinkers so much. The exhaust is not in its original form, when i purhased the exhaust system it came with low level pipes that looked horrible imho so i bought some separate high rise link pipes which were also a terrible fit,they came in two pieces each side, so i welded them together,also with stronger frame mount lugs. So far so good. The exhaust is actually street legal when used with the silencer inserts, one for the outlet and one for the exhaust side. The silencers are also modified with larger outlet for more music! :D older pic of how it used to look.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Some up to date pics of rappy
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Nice! Who'd have thought that the same DNA was in my bike? Still, I'm happy with the restrained styling of mine which suits my style. :nod:

Where did the plexiglass clutch cover come from?

Nick, UK
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I bought the clutch cover secondhand hand from the uk, i think originally it came off a raptor but you can find them by googling suzuki tl1000 clear clutch cover. The outer part and oil filler bolt were originally anodized blue which came off pretty easily.