Tips for finding spare parts

General spannery stuff
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Tips for finding spare parts

Post by Aussiejoe »

I've noticed a lot of people here have trouble finding spare parts, so I thought I'd help everyone with a few pointers to find Cagiva Raptor parts. This information is specific to the 650 and 1000 models. The reality is most of the parts are not being made anymore. A lot of parts are generic to several brands of motorcycles, if you can find a manufacturer name on the part, best idea is to look up that company with a google search, for example Brembo brake calipers.

The first step is to get yourself a part number, parts list are available from the links below. If you have a 650 model, get the 1000 parts list as well and if you have a 1000, get the 650 parts list. Then you can see if the same part fits both models by checking each parts listing using the part number.
1000 Raptor
http://img.webike.net/sys_images/genuin ... 5-2003.pdf
650 carby model
http://cagiva-wiki.de/data/_uploaded/do ... -Teile.pdf
650 IE(Fuel injected model)
http://img.webike.net/sys_images/genuin ... 0-2005.pdf
www.oemmotorparts.com also use the Cagiva part numbers on their website.

If you haven't realised yet, the motor in your Raptor (650 and 1000) is a Suzuki motor, so everything you need for it, you should refer to a Suzuki parts lists, there's still plenty of parts for TL1000 and SV650 motors if you need to get parts for the engine.

To find the Cagiva part you are searching for, you need the number from the parts list shown above, and a google search for that exact part number may find what you're looking for. Some parts may come up as MV Agusta, Cagiva or Husqvarna parts and occasionally as a Ducati part number. You will need to verify that the Husqvarna and Ducati parts fit Raptors. I know the part number 800095580 which is the rubber piece that protects the swingarm from the chain rubbing on it comes up as a Husqvarna part, but I can not confirm if the part will fit the Raptor. I do know some rubber parts listed under the same number on the Raptor and Husqvarnas are shared, for example part number 800053727 being the rubber mount on the exhaust mounting under the engine on the 650 Raptor. Part number 74110131A being a rubber clamp on the wiring harness will come up as a Ducati part and also fits the Raptor.

There are a few tricks with google search that come in handy. To do a phrase search, you need to use inverted commas at the start and the end, for example, if you want to search for “Cagiva Raptor” with the words in that order, that is exactly how you'd put it in. If you want to search but not include certain words, you use a hyphen (-) or a minus symbol before the word/number without a space, for example -125. If you want to search a specific site you need to put in the word site followed by a colon, for example site:www.oemmotorparts.com

So let's say I'm looking for the original left hand side footpeg bracket for a 1000cc model. The parts list calls it an “Exhaust and footboard support”, part number 80A095218. A check of the 650 parts list tells me it is the same part number for the 650 too, so you know it doesn't matter which model it comes off. Do a google search for that part number, some times you may need to put Cagiva and Raptor in the search as well as you might end up with some weird results as it may be a phone number or a part number for something that has nothing to do with motorcycles. Sometimes old listing stay on the internet for years, and you may need to click on tools up the top right hand side of the google search and click on “any time” and change it to “past year” or even custom range that you think appropriate.

If the part number search hasn’t found the part you require, go back to the parts list and you’ll see that it covers several language. Just copy and past each translation into google search with an inverted commas (“) at each end with Cagiva Raptor and hopefully you’ll be successful finding the part you need.

To summarise, to find the left hand footpeg bracket for the 1000, I first google search
80A095218
then
80A095218 Cagiva Raptor
then
80A095218 “Exhaust and footboard support” Cagiva Raptor
then(in all translations in the parts list, ie Italian, French, German, Spanish)
“Piastra sx supp.pedane e scarico” Cagiva Raptor
“Plaque G. support cale-pieds et ECH” Cagiva Raptor
“Linkes Halterung für Fußraste Auspuff” Cagiva Raptor
“Placa izquierda soporte estribos y escape” Cagiva Raptor

A lot of parts are available on Ebay, so you may need to add the word “ebay” to a google search to reduce your search results.

If you have any problems understanding this for finding parts, please feel free to ask me for help. I also suggest if you’re thinking you might need parts in the future, I suggest getting them now, as it will only become more difficult to find parts for Cagiva Raptors in the future.
HiFi
On the Road

Re: Tips for finding spare parts

Post by HiFi »

Great post, and regarding your last bit of advice I regularly scour eBay for parts I think I might need down the line. Having had a real dog of a naked rappy in the past, simple things like clutch cables and handlebar controls come to mind as spares worth seeking out.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

One thing I made a point of getting was a second wiring harness in case wires get worn through somewhere. There's plenty of places that now manufacture cables if you can't find one that fits http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/Applications ... cables.asp
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Brilliant :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thank you
Twisted Tequila Sister
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I wonder how many xtra raptors still have the little plastic bat steering damper cover that sits over the front of the steering damper? I snapped up a new one off ebay for a couple of dollars since my bike did not come with one fitted! :) Also those steering damper clamps if you can find them, may be very hard to find now since they had a tendancy to break if not fitted correctly.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Best bet is ebay , you will need a healthy wallet if using oem motorparts. Also not forgetting the Australian importers, Paul Feeney Group still supply some new parts.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Great advice Joe, google is definitely you friend when parts hunting so long as you have a little patience. However I bet there isn't a spare part number for the bracket welded to the frame that the exhaust rubber mount fits into... my bracket vibrated & cracked free :shock: :(

Great parts list pdf as well. I was trying to bodge something up by downloading & cutting/pasting from oem parts but it was painful to do & I gave up in the end.

So thanks for that.

Andy B
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

ozzraptor wrote: 6 years ago Also those steering damper clamps if you can find them, may be very hard to find now since they had a tendancy to break if not fitted correctly.
They are still available mate, but they look like they're cast alloy which is very brittle. I had a cast alloy clutch pressure plate on a KR250 (when I was a whipper snapper) that snapped the lugs off when torquing clutch springs up, I took it into work, zapped it up with a mig welder, cleaned up the spring seat with a die grinder to a thickness less than original, and they took the torque. I know it's nice to have original, but those clamps I'd myself re-manufacture in the event of a breakage with hole saws, a grinder, a hacksaw and a tap.
andybaggies wrote: 6 years ago However I bet there isn't a spare part number for the bracket welded to the frame that the exhaust rubber mount fits into... my bracket vibrated & cracked free :shock:
If I remember correctly they are welded with a square edge onto the frame, which causes a stress point at the ends. If you want to resolve the issue, there needs to be a curve at the ends of that bracket, and the welds need to be stress relieved after welding. I had the bracket on the exhaust header pipes break, and it was the square ends that caused it.

I did have a big order of parts with https://www.bike-parts-mv.com/ just before the fall out with AMG but they shut up shop during that episode. Their parts were about half the price of https://www.oemmotorparts.com/default.asp but are now about 25% dearer, but they can be a source for hard to get parts.

I still have my 650 in pieces, need to get the motor painted, and all the parts I want powder-coated and start putting it back together, but always busy driving a truck interstate, repairing/maintaining a Nissan Elgrand, and keeping the Missus happy touring her around on her chauffeur ridden Honda Deaville.
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

This e-bay seller has a few useful looking 1000 parts:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/abbey812