MAG motorway/dual carrigeway demonstration

Do your planning here, and let us know how it went!
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

MAG motorway/dual carrigeway demonstration

Post by Mighty Mariner »

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... %20%281%29
Any one joining in Lincs /Humberside?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Bfef
On the Road

Re: MAG motorway/dual carrigeway demonstration

Post by Bfef »

M5 sedgemoor for me assuming bike is ready :yuck:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

M6 Burton is nearest to me so far. The potential changes to our lifestyle are ridiculous and we need to make a stand. Remember its a slippery slope :angry:
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

On the SV, provided the 'one cylinder' turns into two after getting to the pipes on the carbs. Not the VRap.

One of three to choose from on the m62 for me.
Close friend is a MAG rep, its getting lots of interest on the SV forum too. :toocool:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

copied from the SV forum, theres quite a few threads debating at this current time, over there.

PaddyTyson, MAG Campaigns Officer, sent an email to all MAG Activists on Monday -part of the title was 'proof that lobbying works'.
Yes, we should ALL to write to our MPs & MEPs, & we will benefit from a low-impact (20 minutes!) show of solidarity (I've invited my MP & his missus on our ride ;^). 2 MPs have already said they will join us!
Mike Weatherley MP for Brighton and Hove will be out on a Suzuki V-strom, starting from the Pease Pottage services on the M23 and Steve Baker MP will be joining the M40 Oxford Services start point on his KTM 950 SM. Steve said “I am delighted MAG is running this nationwide, peaceful and lawful protest against the EU’s unnecessary and oppressive over-regulation. Of course this protest is focussed on motorcycles but it matters to everyone who loves liberty and who thinks state power should be restrained by democracy. Those behind the EU do not mean to harm us, they mean to help, but they must be stopped from turning all Europe into a graveyard for the human spirit.” I've also reproduced Pad's 'lobbying works' email in full below:

The UK Government today released a statement through the Dept for Transport which summarises its position on the EU Type Approval and Market Surveillance Regulation and asks for comments on its assessment of the impact the EU proposals will have on UK biking. In essence, there is a lot to be happy about ahead of 25th Sept as the UK Government appear to be hearing us (MAG's first official meeting with the DfT about the EU Regulations was on 4th November 2010, just after the draft Regulation was released). Further lobbying of all sorts has produced the following, but it's not over yet.
Addressing issues as they arise in the document-
SVA or Single Vehicle Approval - the good news is that the UK Government broadly supports MAG's position and believe that the current scheme the UK uses to approve 'homebuilds' is cost effective and manageable and flexibility should exist in the Regulation to permit this to remain.
ABS - there is no mention of the government supporting MAG's request for the inclusion of a by-pass switch, but there is concern that cheaper alternatives should be permitted in entry level bikes.
Anti Tampering - good news in that the Government "... opposes a blanket anti-tampering measure". However, it does not address the issue of upgrading a machine when your licence permits you to, especially in conjunction with the latest Driving Licence Directive that will be creating new classes of rider next year.
Emissions - the UK is in favour of the tighter emissions tabled for introduction in 2015, but not the next two stages due in 2018 and 2021. They say this is because the costs far outweigh the benefits and manufacturers are almost ready to achieve the 2015 limits anyway. This may be green scepticism, but in the meantime they want to see CO2 figures published, paving the way for zero-rated road tax for bikes, which MAG has long campaigned for!
Evaporative emissions - UK believes that costs of the proposed measures to reduce fuel evaporation outweighs the benefits by 20 times and could see bikes loaded with controls that actually increase fuel consumption. Fuel evaporation can be a problem in the really hot countries, but hardly figures in the North and is another example of why one size does not fit all in Europe.
OBD - OnBoard Diagnostics. The government supports MAG's view that this would be complicated and expensive, so they only favour the first stage of OBD which warns of failures in wiring circuits and emission detection systems - not more advanced OBD that could disable the bike or only allow it to limp home if an emissions sensor gives a bad reading.
Repair and Maintenance Information (RMI) - The Government supports MAG's position that RMI should be freely available. Small series production - the UK supports the current limit (up to 200 bikes a year) not the proposals that would put small companies out of business. The UK believes the Commission's timescale for the introduction of the Regulation (Jan 2013) is clearly unachievable - more time is necessary.
Much of this is good news and is a demonstration of how far the lobbying has got us thus far. MAG is meeting the DfT again this week to further discuss the UK position. In the meantime, the Commission told MEPs last week that it doesn't agree with much of what the UK thinks. It's important we keep this pressure up - the 25th September protests will build that resolve. The DfT have offered consultation on their Impact Assessment of the Regulation, a hefty 95 page document that I'll be reading tonight.. --
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Remeber,remember, 25th of September...

V for Vendeta.
It's all greek to me....
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years agoRemeber,remember, 25th of September...

V(2) for Vendeta.
It's all greek to me....
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Torn between A63 North Ferriby and Newark A1
N Ferriby is closerbut don't want to be riding alone.
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Mighty Mariner wrote:55 years agoTorn between A63 North Ferriby and Newark A1
N Ferriby is closerbut don't want to be riding alone.
North Ferriby is about 10 minutes from my house. I may join you if you go there Tony.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Deffo A63 it's much closer to home.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Check your start points as the one i was going to use is gone (Burton m6) so now gonna be Gretna M74.
Bit of a Muppet
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

I'll be at the North Ferriby service station @ 12.30. :happyhappy:

I think there are a few from Hull Bikers going as well.

I'll put my DB killers back in, 'cos somehow i don't think we'll be "alone" .

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Well Wierdo i thought you were never alone :?
Bit of a Muppet
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Not while i have my invisible friend with me. :lol:

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

M62 Near M606 junction for me and the tribe!

Hoping this is gonna be epic!
:dance: :dance: :tada: