Simmer Dim

Do your planning here, and let us know how it went!
Miz
On the Road

Simmer Dim

Post by Miz »

Am hoping to be the most northerly Raptor in the UK for mid-summer this year, will find out in the next few days if we have tickets for the Simmer Dim Rally on the Shetland Islands.. will be chuffed if we get them :D
152/999
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Simmer Dim

Post by Crap Tartan »

go, you will love it, went many years ago but then agin i already knew the islands.

DONT drink the local hhoch if offered............................................... ; )

hope you get the tickets, everyone should do it once!
nil illigitimae carborundum
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

OOO great stuff! Good luck with the tickets.

I say every year we should go up to see my sons godfather, who left Todmorden to live in the Shetlands Unst I think.... :happyhappy:

Never get round to it though :rant:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agogo, you will love it, went many years ago but then agin i already knew the islands.

DONT drink the local hhoch if offered............................................... ; )

hope you get the tickets, everyone should do it once!
Have got my 10 year badge for the Dim back in the early 90's, what year did you go? Went to my first fire festival in January last year. It is well worth the effort to go.
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Tickets are here, just got to book the ferry, then wait for the RBR info to arrive and plan the route there and back....
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Miz wrote:55 years agoTickets are here, just got to book the ferry, then wait for the RBR info to arrive and plan the route there and back....
:D have fun
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

We have 2 weeks and then we head off to The Simmer Dim, have been doing some planning and our route (by LM )is:-

Conisborough
Lissett
Overnight at The New Inn & Cropton Brewery, Nr Pickering (could be messy) :drunk:
Rosedale Abbey
Carlton Miniott
Eggleston
North Shields
Ovingham
Overnight in Hexham
Elsdon
Greenlaw
Prestonpans
Overnight in Drumshademuir
Kirriemuir
Hirn
Into Aberdeen to catch the ferry to The Simmer Dim :sick:

We are then in rally mode until Monday morning when the RBR tour continues..

Keith
Carrbridge
Find somewhere to sleep near Dunbeath..
Westerdale
Durness
Melvaig
Staying overnight in a lighthouse Nr Melvaig :toocool:
Oban
Largs
Port Logan
Laurieston
Glenbuck
Glenbreck
Ireby
Kirkby Lonsdale
Malham
Burnley
Home

Have not booked any stopovers after the lighthouse as we will camp when we feel like it and don't want to be tied to a time table, not counting the miles on The Shetlands we should clock up about 2000 miles :pilot:

We are hoping for plenty of :sun: :sun: :sun:

Am in the process of changing oil and filter, and have a new back tyre to fit as there is not 2000+ miles in the one fitted, but will save that for later in the year.

When we get back home we will only have the Welsh LM's to visit to complete all LM's for this year :thumbsup:
152/999
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Two weeks and 2,000 miles, and you end up in..... Burnley!!??? :blink:

In the words of John Cooper Clarke...

I tell you now and I tell you firmly,
I don't ever want to go to Burnley.
What they do there doesn't concern me.
Why would anyone make that journey?

Presume that you have relatives there or summat. It will be a bit of a come down after Bonnie Scotland, even if the sun is shining.

Which it never does in Burnley. 8)
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Red Mist wrote:55 years agoTwo weeks and 2,000 miles, and you end up in..... Burnley!!??? :blink:

In the words of John Cooper Clarke...

I tell you now and I tell you firmly,
I don't ever want to go to Burnley.
What they do there doesn't concern me.
Why would anyone make that journey?

Presume that you have relatives there or summat. It will be a bit of a come down after Bonnie Scotland, even if the sun is shining.

Which it never does in Burnley. 8)
No relatives, just a LandMark, if I have done my research correctly I will stop in Burnley long enough to take a picture of the Xtra at that LandMark and then we will be heading home.

Once we get home we will have 1 LandMark near Liverpool and 16 in Wales to complete all 90 for this year.
152/999
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

No relatives, just a LandMark, if I have done my research correctly I will stop in Burnley long enough to take a picture of the Xtra at that LandMark and then we will be heading home.

Once we get home we will have 1 LandMark near Liverpool and 16 in Wales to complete all 90 for this year.[/quote]

Sorry, it should have been obvious that you were looking for a landmark. I didn't realise there were any in Burnley. I don't really know how this works. Are you looking for a particular landmark or do you just park up outside Turf Moor and take a photo to prove you've been there?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

When you sign up for the RBR they send you a list of 90 landmarks around the country, they try to get at least one in every county, you get a basic clue and a general location, in 2009 the clue for the Lancashire LandMark was "Arte et labore" and the location was Darwen, this led me to this:-

The landmarks can be as big as that, or as small as this memorial

Be warned though, it is very addictive, and this year for a birthday treat I'm hoping to find every landmark on the list.. :revrev:

There is more info here http://www.roundbritainrally.co.uk/index1.htm
152/999
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Do you know the clue for the Burnley LM?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

hey Miz, an old bird of Shebee and my aquaint is off to Simmer Dim on a trike, so if you see a triker with red hair (known all over as Bikergran) give her a 'hello' :D ta
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agohey Miz, an old bird of Shebee and my aquaint is off to Simmer Dim on a trike, so if you see a triker with red hair (known all over as Bikergran) give her a 'hello' :D ta
I know Bobbi through UKBiker and The RBR, will be meeting up with her in Aberdeen at the ferry...
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Red Mist wrote:55 years agoDo you know the clue for the Burnley LM?
Yes I do, but one of the rules of the rally is not to publicly disclose/publish the locations of the LM's or the LM list. I will pm you the details, but it is not a difficult one.
152/999