The Shires

Do your planning here, and let us know how it went!
Red Mist
On the Road

The Shires

Post by Red Mist »

I'll be having a ride down to The Shires do in Shropshire this weekend. I've not been for a few years but I usually bump into a few old mates down there. I'm planning on having a bit of a ride around North Wales before I get there. Was really looking forward to it until I heard on the news that someone had been swept to their death in the floods in that area today.

Crikey. :(

Possibly even more worrying is that I now have an oil leak having done an oil change recently. I was pretty sure that I'd tightened up the sump plug, but found I was able to tighten it a few more turns tonight. I gave it as much force on my wrench as I felt safe to do. Hope I've not done the thing a mischief.

Anyway, bugger it, I'm setting off Saturday morning. Tally ho! :ride:
weirdo
On the Road

Re: The Shires

Post by weirdo »

Hope it goes well for you mate.

The "..few more turns.."bit bothers me though :shock: . Maybe a new sump plug washer blathered in silicone sealant both sides would be worth a try. If the thread in the sump's a bit dodgy you don't have to tighten it to the max, and the silicone acts as a glue/seal. If you do it just make sure the sump is bone dry for the silicone to adhere to :happyhappy:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

A good tip for a sump plug washer is to get a copper car one of the same size that has a rubber inner rim on it from Halfords.Can`t remember which model of car fits but they are in see through packs so you can take your old one along and compare.I`ve used them on all my bikes just for that extra piece of mind.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

It's called a dowty washer.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

That`s gotta be a british name from the first half of the 20 century.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

norrie wrote:55 years agoIt's called a dowty washer.

Norrie.
Apparently they call them that in the trade 'cos they dowt they'll work :lol:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Pleased to say that I fixed the leak and got there and back ok. I was pretty sure that I'd not cross threaded the bolt as it screwed in easy enough. It may have just been nerves and when it felt tight I left it at that. Anyway I gave it a few more (anxious) turns and it seemed to bite. It's okay now..

I didn't take many piccies at the do. The weather wasn't the best. It was worth going though as I saw quite a few mates from years gone by. I was going to make a bit of a ride of it and take in some Welsh roads but some heavy showers knocked that idea on the head, so it was mainly M6 and A49.

Usually I go on do's like this to have a good ride with the bonus of a social evening at the end of it. On this occasion the emphasis was really on the social evening.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Red Mist wrote:55 years agoPleased to say that I fixed the leak and got there and back ok. I was pretty sure that I'd not cross threaded the bolt as it screwed in easy enough. It may have just been nerves and when it felt tight I left it at that. Anyway I gave it a few more (anxious) turns and it seemed to bite. It's okay now..

I didn't take many piccies at the do. The weather wasn't the best. It was worth going though as I saw quite a few mates from years gone by. I was going to make a bit of a ride of it and take in some Welsh roads but some heavy showers knocked that idea on the head, so it was mainly M6 and A49.

Usually I go on do's like this to have a good ride with the bonus of a social evening at the end of it. On this occasion the emphasis was really on the social evening.
:thumbsup: glad it all stayed together Red Mist - and you got your social evening :dance:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>