Piel island

Do your planning here, and let us know how it went!
shedmonkey
APM

Piel island

Post by shedmonkey »

There is a trip to Piel island near barrow in furness on this weekend ,its ran by the ABR(adventure bike rider) group.

Normally access by vehicle is not allowed but permission is given to cross en mass(guided accross the sand by a 4x4) at about 1400 on saturday 1st june ,then we are stuck on the island until about midday sunday. The crossing is over the sand after the tide has gone out(durrrrr) but is supposedly dooable on a road bike on road tyres(will find out shortly) so if anyone fancies it ?

On the island there is a pub and a castle and a few houses, camping is £5 but once on the island the bikes must be parked up until time to leave.

The meet point is "snab point" on walney island. :thumbsup:
Bit of a Muppet
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Piel island

Post by shedmonkey »

Well made it there and back the crossing was easy most of the way over but with a few lovely slippery bits(must fit knobblies) .Did a through the lakes run down doing Kirkstone, Rynose and Hardknot passes, and the weather was good all weekend.

picture courtesy of ABR website.
Attachments
9_2013-06-02-2.JPG
9_2013-06-02-2.JPG (78.58 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoWell made it there and back the crossing was easy most of the way over but with a few lovely slippery bits(must fit knobblies) .Did a through the lakes run down doing Kirkstone, Rynose and Hardknot passes, and the weather was good all weekend.
knobblies on the Raptor? mmmm :roll:

Sounds like you chose a real pretty route too :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Wish I could have made this, Shedmonkey. The whole idea really appeals. I didn't have that good an excuse not to go either. The place isn't too far away. However I've already spent this week's allocated bike money on new brake pads and a light bulb. Still have to get the bike taxed and my insurance is due for renewal in a couple of weeks.

So I had a cheap but constructive (destructive?) weekend in the garden instead.

Anyway, tell us a bit more about the weekend. Were they all BMWs or were there other bikes there too?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

There were a large number of gs1200s and ktm990s including smaller versions a few triumph tigers the odd husky and xr400 a couple of africa twins, 4 pure road bikes mine ,triumph sprint, honda deuville, Mz supermoto ,31 bikes in total.

The crossing was a bit slippery in places and a few dodgy places where gullies form in the sand and it was quite annoying when a 990ktm comes past at about 80 and im doing about 15mph (showoffs).

They were a good crowd and Saturday consisted mainly drinking cider and talking about bikes and various adventures people have had. The pub was the centre of the event being quite a lively spot with many local characters appearing. Normally vehicles arent allowed accross unless invited by the king of piel, who is an amiable chap on crutches after breaking his leg falling off a ladder.
Attachments
Bedford van rusting away
Bedford van rusting away
piel island13 054 (400x300).jpg (84.51 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
Some of the bikes
Some of the bikes
piel island13 052 (400x300).jpg (106.74 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
The campsite
The campsite
piel island13 040 (400x300).jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
Bit of a Muppet
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I will admit my caption would have been... "Oh bugger the Leaders Bloody Sat Nav is playing up again" :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

I do hope Sooty and Sweep escaped from the van o.k.