Raptor meet- Derbyshire 15th-17th August

Do your planning here, and let us know how it went!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: Raptor meet- Derbyshire 15th-17th August

Post by dizzyblonde »

Miz wrote:55 years ago
dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoIt will most likely be a day trip to say hello from me.

One or two unfortunate events have occurred recently, with emergency days away. My Scotland trip has taken major priority at the end of August, after a friend passed away and there's not enough pennies in the pot to do everything.

Haven't even considered the pennies in the pot for Cyprus in September yet :/
Sorry about your friend.

Where in Cyprus are you heading?

If you are in Nicosia, have a trip to the motorcycle museum, it's privately owned, and the owner has restored all the bikes himself, I was working over there and cut him a sign out of 5mm steel as a "test piece" was a bit difficult tucking it up my tee shirt to get it out of the factory :shock:

Thanks, it happened to be my other halves best friend and surrogate dad :(

Ooosh, where do I begin in Cyprus? My other half is Greek Cypriot by descent, it has taken two years to find his family on dads side. We now have a Big Fat Cypriot Family :) We will be in Limassol, but traveling to Paphos, Kykkos, Nicosia, Kato Zodia(the occupied family home in the north), Famagusta.....we tried to find the motorcycle museum last time......and couldn't bloody find it!!
I shall have another go this time, if we have time :happyhappy: :thumbsup:

ummmm yeah, that sign....as awkward as realising you have a bottle of brandy from Kykkos in your hand just as you get to customs and are facing a Greek guard with a great BIG gun :doh:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

ok I'm going to book - but could be a fly-by
RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoShame this falls on my 'on call' weekend for work, but I'll keep watching the thread and if you have plans where you'll be stopping for a spot of lunch etc on the Saturday, post it up here as I'd love to pop over and see a pack of raptors and put some names to faces :mrgreen: if on calls quiet.
can you recommend a place to go within your 'still able to get to an on-call area' Jo?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agook I'm going to book - but could be a fly-by
RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoShame this falls on my 'on call' weekend for work, but I'll keep watching the thread and if you have plans where you'll be stopping for a spot of lunch etc on the Saturday, post it up here as I'd love to pop over and see a pack of raptors and put some names to faces :mrgreen: if on calls quiet.
can you recommend a place to go within your 'still able to get to an on-call area' Jo?
For a photo opportunity for the Raps I would recommend Carsington Water, they have bike parking and if your able to get them all together you'd get some good shots. Its not far from where your staying. They have a visitor centre so if the weather is nice it does get busy but that also means coffee/cake/ice-cream. Its doable for me to be off radar for the 45mins of getting there lol. I'm assuming your taking in the peaks etc while there so unsure of your plans but possibly meet you early afternoon on the saturday after a run ??
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Not sure of the planned route yet. I was rather hoping someone local was going to be there. I will need to have a look at a map when I get time. Looking to perhaps stop at Matlock Bath as I know it's a big biker place.
If anyone has any ideas for a route let me know. Looking for under 100 miles and somewhere to stop for fuel and possibly lunch.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

norrie wrote:55 years agoNot sure of the planned route yet. I was rather hoping someone local was going to be there. I will need to have a look at a map when I get time. Looking to perhaps stop at Matlock Bath as I know it's a big biker place.
If anyone has any ideas for a route let me know. Looking for under 100 miles and somewhere to stop for fuel and possibly lunch.
Here you go, just over 90 miles, from the Standard over to Buxton, then to Macclesfield via the Cat & Fiddle, then over the tops to Chapel-en-le-Frith and Glossop, before heading down to the Derwent dams (where the dambusters practiced), via The Snake Pass, then down through Hope Valley, passing Chatsworth House (watch out for tourists, sheep & deer) before heading down to Matlock Bath and then through Cromford before heading back to the Standard.

If any of you have a sat-nav I can "do you a route" for that if you let me know the make.
Raptor Route.JPG
Raptor Route.JPG (101.57 KiB) Viewed 17671 times
Last edited by Miz on |July 28th, 2014|, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years agook I'm going to book - but could be a fly-by
For a photo opportunity for the Raps I would recommend Carsington Water, they have bike parking and if your able to get them all together you'd get some good shots. Its not far from where your staying. They have a visitor centre so if the weather is nice it does get busy but that also means coffee/cake/ice-cream. Its doable for me to be off radar for the 45mins of getting there lol. I'm assuming your taking in the peaks etc while there so unsure of your plans but possibly meet you early afternoon on the saturday after a run ??
Carsington is OK, but if the weather is OK, it'll be packed, if you do the suggested run, you'll have a few chances for photo's

The Cat & Fiddle Inn
The Snake Inn
The Derwent Dam
Chatsworth House
and finally Matlock Bath
152/999
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Top stuff mate. Thanks ever so much.
I've got a Garmin Zumo 550.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Matlock bath is where me and Pete would meet when we were 'courting' :ride:

The Derwent Water visitors centre is a nice place to stop. Very popular bike spot. It sits just below Ladybower, and you can get a good feel about the testing place for those bouncing bombs.
There's a food place and toilets..... And loadsa ducks :suspect:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Back to previous question
RaptorJo wrote:55 years ago-//- Carsington Water -//- doable for me to be off radar for the 45mins of getting there lol. -//- possibly meet you early afternoon on the saturday after a run ??
Raptor Jo is any of the route that Miz detailed in your 'doable' area?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

Sorry guys, going to have to call a rain-check :(
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

norrie wrote:55 years agoTop stuff mate. Thanks ever so much.
I've got a Garmin Zumo 550.
OK, I'll set it up in Basecamp and e-mail it to you (pm me your addy), if anyone else want the route, PM me an addy too.

I'll have another look/think and see if I can get S-o-T area into the route.
152/999
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Are we nearly there yet? :revrev:
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Nearly. Only 15 sleeps to go. :thumbsup:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Really looking forward to it... I am taking my mother to cornwall... In august .. For a few days just before the gathering... I will need alcohol!
Twisted Tequila Sister
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Then alcohol shall be provided. :nod:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!