Hi from Essex

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
geoff
Knight of the realm

Re: Hi from Essex

Post by geoff »

I have managed to source some r1 forks, and blue spot calipers, as well as a fully adjustable rear shock, as I like to fettle a bikes suspension to suit myself, that and a spare ecu, just in case...

Having ridden around for a while I've decided the bike is a keeper, and fitted sticky tyres, a leather red and black seat cover, and a couple of other bits.

The bike has a datatool 3 alarm, which works, but it seems I am it is likely that this is an exception to the rule, so whilst going through the electrical connectors with ac50, the alarm will most likely get binned.

I would like to fit some half inch bar risers, have to look into that with cable lengths etc. :)
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

I take it you'll not be following me round Cadwell next time? I've a TLS ecu going spare if you want to finally banish the myth. I'd love to try a Raptor ECU at some point. :)
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Hello mate, I will be up for another track day at some point, if you want to try the ecu let me know and I can send it on for you to give it a go. :)
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've decided the bike is a keeper
Any particular reason why?
as well as a fully adjustable rear shock
What shock have you gone for?

Andy B
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Hi Andy, I'm keeping the bike after having an open mind on things, I like the small size and light weight, along with the strong engine, the looks are easy on the eye, it's a lot of performance for the money.

The shock I'm getting is a fully adjustable sachs unit, restored, I think from the Xtra raptor. :)
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

along with the strong engine
Yep, it's a corker isn't it? Those big gobs of torque make for easy & deceptively fast progress. :ride: Sounds like you've been bitten....
fully adjustable sachs unit, restored, I think from the Xtra rapto
Nice. The reason I ask is that i've made changes to the front as per http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =16&t=2436 (not sure if you've read this thread but there's some good info in there) and as mentioned this improves the front but highlights the weakness of the rear. So I'm presently toying with shock options and not sure whether to hell with it and get a Nitron.

Andy b
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Yes Andy, I'm bitten and smitten,waiting on the yam r1 forks and blue spot calipers turning up, hope this week, taking a chance on the shock working, I think it might be a bit longer than the stock one, if not then I will get some triangles fabbed up.
a most interesting thread there, thanks, early days for me yet, but I will get there,think I know where I'm going with the forks and front end setup,the back end will be more targeted when I can measure up the shock, and I will shield the exhaust.
I will either be a happy bunny or a hedge bumper.. :woot:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Sounds good - I for one would be interested in progress and in the meantime here's a couple of threads that may contain some useful info for you:

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2016

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4408

Andy B
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Thank you Andy, I'm off to look at those links, I will update as I get it all sorted, I have ordered a new r1 spindle etc,and sintered pads, getting it all together so it's an easier swap over.
Sheepracer
On the Road

Post by Sheepracer »

Belated welcome in too- seen that bike for sale when I was looking for one. Is that a feel free Nomad in the background too??
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Yes, I have a couple of wilderness kayaks too, living by the water as I do, it's good to throw one in the water for a bit of a workout. :)
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

I got my lathe set up in the back of me truck, turned out some spindle spacers for the r1 fork conversion, in aluminum, they will need turning to length when the forks are in the yolks, that just takes a minute.
I did a bit of sculpturing on one spacer to see how it blends with the fork bottom, what thoughts?
Attachments
IMG-20160613-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20160613-WA0002.jpg (154.87 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Here is a sliding fit test of the turned and bored blanks. :)
Attachments
IMG_20160613_153346.jpg
IMG_20160613_153346.jpg (96.44 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

If anyone needs them turned for a conversion, I will do it, just need the dimensions, they cost me about 50 pence and an hour on the lathe, so if someone is stuck for spacers I will knock them up for nowt. :)
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Looking good mate! Nice work!
nil illigitimae carborundum