Wannabe in Norfolk

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
nickst4
On the Road

Wannabe in Norfolk

Post by nickst4 »

Hi People,

I'm a longtime enthusiast for Cagivas and currently own an Alazzurra, a Canyon500 and a Gran Canyon. All great bikes, and I really appreciate the design flair in all Cagiva products and, of course, their involvement in Ducati history. Just now, the concept of their Suzuki-powered street bikes has begun to appeal, particularly the basic Raptor 1000. Of course, the motor has a high reputation, but I'm wondering about the ride quality of the bike, having found that whatever I've done to a 750 Ducati Monster has not made it tolerable over the rough roads in East Anglia.

Since I value a relaxed and relatively-comfortable ride much higher than performance/sheer hooligan potential, I'd appreciate any opinions you might like to share. Better yet; if there was a Raptor owner in Norfolk who'd be prepared to let me try one before buying I'd be grateful. I have a garage full of interesting bikes, mostly vee-twins, that might interest those who enjoy trying something different!

Cheers,

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Wannabe in Norfolk

Post by nickst4 »

Sorry: I should have said that I'm in Norfolk, UK. You know; that island shortly to be cut adrift from the rest of Europe!

Nick
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

They have noto the best set up suspension, but there are fixes that don't have to be expensive, welcome to you. :)
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome in Nick,

We have a Navigator and a Raptor so also have a Cagiva addiction!

If you fancy a ride out a few of us are gathering in Linconshire this weekend. Sadlly i have done my shoulder in so will be in the van, but hopefully a couple of Raptors will be there and a few owners to chat to. There is a post in events.
:ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

As Geoff said they in my opinion have a harsh ride. I am in process of fitting r1 forks which feel softer just bouncing the suspension so hopefully will help.

I went for a run with some mates a fortnight ago around Alston area and coming into a corner hit a bump my arse left the seat but had to get hard on the brakes and whacked both my bo**ocks on the tank and had to stop until the pain subsided. That's what made me try the R1 forks.

But apart from that I love the bike. The Engine is awesome :shock:
Bit of a Muppet
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Thanks for the friendly reception, People!

As to the ride qualities of the Raptor; I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that a roadtest I found saying the suspension was soft doesn't appear to have been realistic. Journalists, eh? I've had my doubts about their opinions ever since I tried 'The Best Bike In The World', the Honda VFR, and found it gutless and boring in comparison with any vee-twin.

Having struggled to improve the ride qualities of several bikes with limited success on some and not at all on others, perhaps I shouldn't embark on the same process with a Raptor. The other Cagivas I have are good to excellent, as is the Ducati ST4, but it sounds as though the Raptor resembles the average Duke Monster in more than just looks! If the roads around here were better, it wouldn't be an issue...

Cheers,

Nick
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

They are lovely bikes, remember what motor they have... :ride: , the forks can be fixed for a few quid, so that they are quite good around, some have gone for a fork replacement, such as the r1 forks I have fitted, but equally others just oil and a spring preload spacer from some old pipe.

Try and get a ride, I love mine, and the roads here in Essex are far from plush, and I tend to stick to back roads.

These bikes are deceptively quick, handle well, and look great. :)
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Hi there,
Get one you wont regret it. A new rear shock makes a big difference even to the front end feel.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

https://tikka.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/O ... 0-Articles

I own a v raptor for 4 years now. After a swap of the shock and setup of the forks the most fun bike i owned. Turns heads every where i ride being so rare. Being tall doesnt help the seating position but still not a big problem.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hi there, I have owned my V raptor from new over 10 years now and it has evolved over the years and now even has a sidecar fitted!
Anyway, ignore the old road tests as everything then was tested with the sporty stuff as a comparison so yes, the raptor is soft compared to a race style set up but is actually pretty decent when compared against more middle of the road stuff.
As with everything, things can always be improved and over the years many on here have done so some with big budgets but most using suitable secondhand and cheaper alternatives. The back end is OK stock but the shock does not always last well but the front is badly set up and underdamped. Oil change and playing with levels have been enough for some whereas many others have replaced forks or internals. A set of ohlins has even been fitted to the front of one on here.
Plenty others on here have just stuck with the standard setup and had no real issues.
Dont decide on one until you have seen them up close and even had a road test yourself to see how you "fit".
They are idiosynchratic in that they far exceed the sum of their parts, and they are a bit of a parts bin special but the style, looks, rarity and engine make them a bit special and great fun to ride.
HTH
nil illigitimae carborundum
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Hi, I don't find the suspension harsh, soft or not to my liking. Well, until I had it rebuilt! The front end is now a bit harder I preferred it's saggy old bounce! Maybe it's because it's all new and it needs to settle, and maybe the roads could do with less rough and potholes everywhere than the last time I rode it properly..... Two years and the roads are bloody awful in Yorkshire!!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

Every day riding didnt show faults with the suspension. Only when following a honda sp2, aprillia rsv and an kawasaki zx12r in the eifel region in germany the suspension had trouble keeping up. I did change the shock to an aprillia falco item and a respring and revalve of the stock front. Makes a difference but mostly notible with fast riding.
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Hi. I'm just down the road in Suffolk. Had my rap thou for six year now so there must be some thing appealing about them . Yes the forks aren't very good , I am still in the proses of improving them ,change of springs & oil is a cheap way of making things better. A Falco shock also helps the rear. It's a light powerful bike with grunt!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Well, with grateful thanks to Steve, AKA Raptor 996, I had my first go on a basic Raptor 1000 yesterday. Interesting, and the ride over rough roads was not as harsh as I thought it might be. I love the style of the bike, and was amazed at how low the saddle is and how high the 'pegs are. Then again, I'd been on the Gran Canyon just before...

Now I have to try and decide if I really need a machine with so much power and acceleration! :shock: :nod:

Nick
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Get a 650. There just as much fun plus you get another 100 Miles out of a tank of fuel. :thumbsup:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!