Newbie from Oxfordshire

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Billy Big Roy
On the Road

Newbie from Oxfordshire

Post by Billy Big Roy »

I'm going to be the proud owner of a 2001 Raptor 1000 this week, 5 former keepers and 9000 miles. Its my brothers bike and something he purchased as a "smoker".

I planned on using it as a winter hack, but after seeing it yesterday, and after a lengthy test ride, I'm now reluctant to do this as its such a nice bike. It needs some TLC, the tanks chipped, the front mudguard would benefit from being repainted and the hangers show signs of corrosion as do a number of the fasteners, but thats one of the reasons I want it, so I can tinker around with it.

Look forward to being part of the community and contributing where I can.

Chris
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Newbie from Oxfordshire

Post by Crap Tartan »

Welcome in Chris, they are brilliant bikes and can be made to look really good, standard or customised!
I have had mine for over 10 years and the original finish in some parts is rubbish but once you address that they are remarkably easy to look after and keep in good condition.
Get some pics up if you can and ask away if there is anything you want to know.......................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Billy Big Roy
On the Road

Post by Billy Big Roy »

Thank you :thumbsup:
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Welcome Chris! I shudder to think of using such a bike as a winter hack, not least because it is so powerful and responsive to minute throttle opening. Not what you want for tricky road conditions, nor powerful brakes on such a light bike! Anyway, any Cagiva is too good to be run into the ground so good luck with the refurbishment.

Nick, Norfolk
Billy Big Roy
On the Road

Post by Billy Big Roy »

Thanks Nick.

I have a couple of days off after the weekend so I'm going to start making a "wish list" of items I want to replace e.g. rusty fasteners etc, and I noticed one one the chain tensor adjuster plate screws is missing. Its only a tiny thing, but the it will bug me if I don't replace it.

Are there any repeatable painters out there who can match the original paint colour, as I want to get the tank and front fender painted soon.

Can anyone also recommend where I can get replacement "Cagiva" tank stickers from?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome in and good luck with your new project :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Welcome billy