MOT or no MOT that is the question!

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Dapper dan
On the Road

MOT or no MOT that is the question!

Post by Dapper dan »

Well the answer is No MOT. ... :angry:

Now..if anyone has read my previous exploits on my bike you'll know I've had clutch problems and rear brake troubles.....and this was the first real time I've been out on it as it was salvaged from a breakers!

I'd previously fixed up the rear brake as the switch was missing. ..and low and behold it failed a few days prior to the MOT. :rant: ...so managed to get hold of one and change it...bleed the rear brake up which is a right hassle and have the bike ready for the MOT. :dance:

So....headed off :ride: and immediately the clutch slip got worse.... :suspect: I was limited to 50mph.....and was tricky getting it up to that speed..... :x ....and then the rear brake caliper started binding. .. :shock: ...total nightmare.. :rant: .
So instead of coming back with an MOT. ...I had my bike on a ramp at the MOT station with the MOT guy trying to free up the caliper so I could get home again! :oops: :oops: :oops:
The mot tester was really helpful and didn't even charge me for the MOT or his time to free up the caliper. I then struggled with even more clutch slip as I live at the top of a hill which climbs for 4 miles on exmoor!
Today sucked!

Going to buy new oil and filter off ebay today...hopefully that will sort the clutch slip.... (what oil do you use?)
As for the brake caliper....I think it might be the master cylinder not being released!
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Re: MOT or no MOT that is the question!

Post by Fazerstun »

:( sounds like a fun day. Not.
I used Motul semi synthetic - but only cos it was on offer :mrgreen:
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

:thumbsup:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

and immediately the clutch slip got worse....
Are you 100% sure you have adjusted the clutch cable/actuator correctly? The actuator must not prevent the push rod from fully releasing, hence the 1/4 turn back after the screw is just touching the rod. It's a right old fiddle and the manual doesn't explain it too well see thread http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1 ... tment.html

Oh, and if you decide to disassemble the actuator to grease it up be very very and thrice I say very careful as there are ball bearings in there which will roll away & disappear into all 4 corners of the garage. :doh:
I think it might be the master cylinder not being released
That's exactly what happened to mine (and it was locked solid) and in around a mile it destroyed the caliper, disk & line with the heat causing it to burst into flames :shock: A new master cylinder was 50 sovs from Bike Torque Racing with which you also need a straight inlet adaptor rather than the standard 90 degree inlet - their stock codes are 10477610 & 110312710. The inlet can easily be swapped by pulling out the old one and push fitting the new (with care).

BTW the disk, caliper & line will set you back an extra ~250 sovs
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Great advice Andy....

Will have a poke at it in the morning!

I've dropped the oil put of it anyway...needed to be done!

I always assume too much when I'm working on bikes. :bollocking: .should look a bit deeper into it and come to a solid conclusion. :nod:
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

With my mot just round the corner though i had better get the rear brake caliper sorted with a new seal kit . Still trying to get the air out even with it upside down. :xImageImage
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I notice you have a full caliper seal kit i.e. including the 2 joint O rings. It isn't an official Bembo one, is it?

I thought they didn't supply repair spares anymore, due to possible litigation, and they are only avaible via KTM (?) dealers. And even then you can only ge the caliper seals & not the O rings.
Still trying to get the air out even with it upside down
Have you tried the reverse fill method? Syringing the fluid in from the caliper end.
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Yes it's a non genuine kit although there's a 'brembo assembly lube' with it.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I think(brain has turned to mush) I got a kit from stein dinse. The balls thing is fun, put a blanket under the bike when you take it to pieces coz they get everywhere(and definitely don't do it on gravel :woot: )
Bit of a Muppet