New boy

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
y-i
On the Road

New boy

Post by y-i »

Greetings!
I thought I'd start with a quick hello and a brief introduction.
I've just bought a Y plate (UK) 650 Raptor. I couldn't help it. The common routine - on line auction, put in an offer and "oh bugg3r, its been accepted". So Ive collected it and whilst not being pristine, its not too bad. Its been stood a bit and doesn't run, tho its trying. I'll drain off the old petrol and start with fresh 97RON and a good battery, then try again. Has anyone got any tips on choke? Full choke, half?
Whilst Ive only had a brief look around it, Ive found a couple of cosmetic wounds. The seat plastics, the bits of side panel that screw to the underside of the seat have been glued to the seat 'cos the fastener tabs have broken - are they still available anywhere?
As for me, I'm a middle aged bloke with a bike habit. Engineer by trade, and seemingly becoming addicted to Italian bikes, living in the mid-shires of England.
So there you are.
Right, I'd better get back to what I should be doing, catch you later!
so far, so good...
snapdragon

Re: New boy

Post by snapdragon »

:thumbsup: Welcome in, and congratulations on your new acquisition
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

And there was I finkin geordie y-i ya bugga. Welcome
Bit of a Muppet
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

You've found a great place. ...loads of help, great people! :happyhappy:
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Ello :thumbsup:
Common consensus is: full choke to 45 then half to 72. I may have got these figures wrong of course, cos I don't listen properly. But it works for me ;)
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum! If it has sat outside beware of water in the tank.. there is a little drain pipe in the filler, if this is blocked then you may have water in the fuel.

:thumbsup: :ride: :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Indeed; welcome, y-i! Hopefully you'll catch the Cagiva bug here, cos they made some excellent mongrel bikes. :nod:

Nick, in Norfolk
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

If it's been sittingnyou will probably have to pull the carbs off aand give them a good clean. I had the exact same problem with mine. Also drain the tank. Oh and 650's are the best. The 1000 might be faster but you will pass them at the petrol station.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

norrie wrote: 6 years ago If it's been sittingnyou will probably have to pull the carbs off aand give them a good clean. I had the exact same problem with mine. Also drain the tank. Oh and 650's are the best. The 1000 might be faster but you will pass them at the petrol station.
I might get into trouble here, but my only experience of the 650 motor was in an Suzuki SV and I felt it was just buzzy and not meaty enough. The thou is just awesome to look at and ride, even if it tempts one to speed ever so slightly, yer 'onour :nod:

Just for interest; has anyone here have experience of both the 650 Raptor and the SV650 and do they differ, apart from the Cagiva being light-years ahead on sexy style? Always looking to add to the Cagiva fleet! :lol:

Nick
y-i
On the Road

Post by y-i »

Thanks, all, for the welcome and the advice.
I've charged the battery in my hotel room (I work away all week) and I'll drain the tank of whatever is still in it when I got home at weekend. Along with all the other domestic stuff I have to do.
I don't think its been stood outside, but all the same I'll suspect the worst.
I'll do the usual oil and filter change, and have a look at the air filter. And change the plugs.
A question re batteries - the 650 has a YTX9-BS whilst the 1000 has listed a YTX12-BS. The difference in size is only in the height. Has anyone tried fitting the taller YTX12-BS into a 650 or is the layout different? I'll know on Saturday cos I'll try a Speed T 955i battery for fit, it's the same 'footprint', I'm just being impatient.
so far, so good...
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

The listing might show a 12 for the thou but mine always had a 9 and is about to get another since the motobatt smaller sized yellow job isn't too well
Can't see why the 9 shouldn't be just fine, but 650 owners will know better.

And you might have a job getting the seat to fit as the battery will be using it's space
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Not sure about the battery. I had a cheap one and it was a waste of money. Since fitting a Yuasa I've not had any problems. I would definately take the carbs off and clean them but up to you. You could always run a cleaner through the fuel system. Do a full service i.e. air/oil filter plugs and oil.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Oh and where are you based?
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
y-i
On the Road

Post by y-i »

I'm in South Staffordshire when I'm home.
so far, so good...