Tap dancing

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Dapper dan
On the Road

Tap dancing

Post by Dapper dan »

Went off for a blat around the North Devon Coast road......totally beautiful today riding out of Lynmouth climbing steeply onto exmoor, the sea was a lovely calm green....blasting past everyone before me...ruining everyone's peace and quiet lol.....(had my baffles in lol)

Had a major episode coming around a left hander...I don't know why I didn't ride around it..but there was a double retangular manhole cover...the type with grooved wavy line metal finish on the top.....anyway, I would of avoided it like the Plague if it was wet, but as it was dry and I was doing maybe 30mph I presumed it was safe to go over It!
The type of speed and situation which wasn't really ringing alarm bells.......well I got my wake up call alright, the front just went. Luckily my left foot went straight down on the road and supported as much as it could, the tyre then found grip and bit into the tarmac. I think the only thing that saved me from an off was that I was going up hill and the suspension didn't get chance to unload fully and ping me off........anyway you live and learn not to take things for granted!
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Tap dancing

Post by shebee »

:woot: glad you recovered it ok!
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Scary! :shock:

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Oooh Errr :shock: front end slips are never good for the nerves.

Personally I avoid manhole covers at all costs sometimes even when vertical. And it's often not just the cast iron surface that causes the issue but the combination of a bump due to the cover being sunken, the cover itself clunking & moving and liberal use of tarmac sealant. Don't bear thinking about when wet.

What sort of age was the tyre, old & crusty perhaps?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Well held.
Bit of a Muppet
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Time for clean underpants. :happyhappy:
Norrie.