Moderators: snapdragon, shebee, Moderators

andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Matris Fork Kit

Post by andybaggies » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Well, I've bit the bucket & finally bought a set of Matris cartridges:
30092017147 (200x66).jpg
30092017147 (200x66).jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Beautifully made & machined and incredibly light. Damper chamber contains a small top out spring & came with a 0.85 main spring. I'm not sure if this is standard or was reduced for my weight (68kg). Notice the green rubber rings on the damper rods just below the spacers, these can be set to & used for the oil level - a nice touch. But also notice the lack of holes for a spring compressor in the main black (aluminium) spacer - I had to drill these myself. Not entirely sure why it doesn't already have them :-?

After bodging up a spring compressor frame it was a no hassle fitting. The frame has a locating spigot at the bottom and the fork leg is strapped to the vertical pole. With the bought compressor tool fitted at the top and the bar fitted through the bottom I used a couple of ratchet straps to compress the spring. I must admit I did feel a little smug that my original design actually worked. :thumbsup:
05102017154 (110x200).jpg
05102017154 (110x200).jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 108 times

andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:55 pm

So onto road impressions:

Good lord !! braking is vastly improved in both feel & power. I had an inkling there was a little stiction & juddering with the previous dampers and this has proved to be so. Now there is nothing but controlled and stable compression from the front even when braking & riding over cats eyes. I can use much more of the brakes ability. Very impressive & confidence inspiring.

Ooohhh the damping is just lovely jubbly. This was immediately noticeable even when just pulling the old boy out of the garage and it got even better on the road. It's certainly not big trailie smoothly wafting you along as it still allows the road to be felt beneath your hands. But it does it in such a smoothly reactive way that the bike's front doesn't rattle & bob & give up and say whatever, like times past. An example of this is going over one of those three painted lines slow down jobbies where you now don't feel the need to do so :D

This has been my first experience of adjustable suspension and it came as, now obvious, news to me that increasing damping doesn't necessary mean a more uncomfortable ride. It can actually mean a firmer but more controlled & supple ride.

One last example. My exit on the last roundabout on the way home is the first one but for a giggle I usually go right & all the way round. The first crank in point has ridges & bumps with some ripples three quarters of the way round. The surface always had to be treated with a little care and tippy toes but now I just pop him on his side & biff me way round without even thinking about it. The suspension just quietly does it firm, controlled & supple job.

The only down side is that I can't see the damn things when riding as they're hiding behind the V-Rap's horn. But you can certainly feel 'em.

Should have done this years ago.

V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 pm

I suggest that you should set the suspension sag. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !

andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm

I suggest that you should set the suspension sag. ;)
The sag & ride height was checked and it was pretty much on the nail out of the box with their recommended settings.

I was going to run it for a couple of weeks to let things bed in before re-checking and possible adjustment.

HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Sounds completely awesome have always found the rappy to chatter over bumps maybe i should try some :happyhappy:

nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 am

With Andy B's helpful advice, I've now put a deposit down on a pair of Matris fork cartridges. More than that, Matris have undertaken to build a shock too. They don't actually list Raptor shocks as standard, but will be making one for me that matches the dimensions of the original. Everything will, they assert, be tailored to my requirements for a plush controlled ride on all road conditions. Ever the optimist, me! :nod:

Nick, UK