TPS help needed

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
raptor996
On the Road

TPS help needed

Post by raptor996 »

I need a little guidance. The TPS needs checking as I’ve never done it . I have tried to find the ‘dealer plug’ & relavent wires that need to be bridged to put the lcd display into the right mode. According to the other posts the plug is on the right hand side, just under the rear of the tank. The plug I have found has three wires & I’m not sure if it’s the right one or which wires to bridge. Any advice please.[imgImage][/img]
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: TPS help needed

Post by ozzraptor »

This should help
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Yup under seat at rear on RHS and jump it as it shows in the pic.
nil illigitimae carborundum
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Thanks ozzraptor & ct, will have a play at the weekend. :thumbsup:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Yes be patient , sometimes you can get it first hit , just a very light tap on the sensor is all it needs.
Dapper dan
On the Road

Post by Dapper dan »

Ol. .I'm interested in this.....
Tps..throttle position sensor??
How does it reset after you've bridged it??

What benefit does it give?...what should I be looking for engine wise to discover if I need to do this..or is this part of a service to check the bikes set up right? :?
You can always earn more money, you cant earn more time! :thumbsup:
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Bridging it allows you to set it up using the lcd display on the dash, it can also be done without bridging and using a multimeter instead which can be far more accurate.
The idea is to synchronise the throttle opening with the electronics that control the fuelling to your throttle bodies.
Once set correctly it should rev freely and more importantly, smoothly right through the Rev range, however, the response curve is not completely smooth throughout the Rev range so there will always be a glitch or two, commonly noted at around 3k and up around 7k. The 7k one doesn’t usually cause a problem for road riding as it’s usually a fairly smooth rush of extra power right up to near the red line.
The 3k glitch is much more common and problematic as it causes a stutter in fuel delivery which can cause the bike to lurch until it picks up revs again and rises above or falls below around 3k. This is linked to engine temperature i.e. worse when cold and clears when hotter.The way to overcome this issue has been well documented in my lengthy post “TPS reset”from years ago.
Other things can affect this setting, mainly exhaust mods, intake mods or any other performance stuff you may have fitted. Also not all bikes are affected and some much more than others.
Make sure the tps is set as per the book whatever method you use and then see if it’s smooth across the full Rev range when it’s cold<83 and when it’s hot >86.
This is for the 1000 only I believe and I am not familiar with the differences for the 650ie
nil illigitimae carborundum
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

In over 30K miles I've never suffered with the mystery 3K glitch and consequently never checked the TPS, although I have added CT's black box fix to 'fool' the temp above 86,

And moreover i've never wanted to adjust it either as it sounds like an ideal opportunity for me to bugger things up :( If it works don't fix it.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Yup, if it aint broke don't play with it.