TL1000R power commander to raptor?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
snowy

TL1000R power commander to raptor?

Post by snowy »

I noticed some special offer from TL1000R power commander II (part no# E303-211 1998-1999), and just wondering will it work with 1000 Raptor 2001? Is there any differnces in plug ins and what kind of modification is required? :roll:
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

hello and welcome.there are many posts on here reguarding power commanders and compatability.I would read them all if i were you. from experience and chatting to those who fit them TL1000s powercommanders can be fitted to raptors, though there are more wires that need to be wired in order for it to work than on the raptor model,it is possible, I have a friend who had it done by forza, his was located above the battery,i have an alarm there so i enquire as to where it could be relocated, was told it was not a problem as they use TL1000 p/cs which had longer looms which allow it to be placed elsewhere.so it is possible and assuming the TL1000r would be similiar, but wire colours and conectors might vary and you would need to know where to wire in extra wires.you tend to find that if you buy a p/c from a dealer you get the fitting and dyno set up as one price.buying your own p/c and giving it to a dealer to install and set up might not end up being cheaper.there are vaying different reports as to how affective, pros/cons on here p/c are, so recommend having it properly fitted so if you experience problems as some have atleast you have some kind of warrenty for the fitting, though the p/c its self will not be warrentied or covered for any damage it causes if on a different bike to what it was intended.
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Re: TL1000R power commander to raptor?

Post by TLMONKEY »

snowy wrote:55 years agoI noticed some special offer from TL1000R power commander II (part no# E303-211 1998-1999), and just wondering will it work with 1000 Raptor 2001? Is there any differnces in plug ins and what kind of modification is required? :roll:
SNOWY,
Only a tls power commander will work on raptor,a tlr one wont because tls t/b's are single injector where as tlr are twin injector and the tlr ecu runs two maps(one for each cylinder) and tls/raptor run one map for both cylinders.

So,
TLS = YES, TLR = NO
:)

Also,
If you wanted to you could run the larger tlr t/b's,BUT- you would have to fit a tlr loom/ecu,the only problem would be having to cut up your raptor loom and mating it to the tlr loom,TLR loom has more plugs/connectors at the front that raptor.(unless you want/are to use different clocks)

IAN
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

think this should be added as a sticky as power commander topics keep coming round,maybe a sticky with links to all the recent posts regaurding p/c s
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

ozzy wrote:55 years agothink this should be added as a sticky as power commander topics keep coming round,maybe a sticky with links to all the recent posts regaurding p/c s
Good idea ozz :D
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

TLMONKEY wrote:55 years ago
ozzy wrote:55 years agothink this should be added as a sticky as power commander topics keep coming round,maybe a sticky with links to all the recent posts regaurding p/c s
Good idea ozz :D
OK stuckied... please add links as you find them :D

Moya wrote:55 years agoyou can get the maps off the power commander website - http://www.powercommander.com/suppmaps.shtml
and the TL owners site - http://www.tl1000.com/main.htm
Raptor6767
On the Road

Post by Raptor6767 »

So what's the smartest thing to do (buy) if you want your Raptor to work perfectly? By this I mean - which Powercommander to buy?

I have Iridium spark plugs, open exhausts, k&n air filter

TNX for info
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

I bought a Techlusion TFI and had it fitted by TTS down at Silverstone.
Fitting and Dyno time were included in the price,about £300 if I remember correctly.That also included them modifying my airbox and fitting a K&N filter. :D What a difference.
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
Patkin
On the Road

Post by Patkin »

ozzy wrote:55 years agohello and welcome.there are many posts on here reguarding power commanders and compatability.I would read them all if i were you. from experience and chatting to those who fit them TL1000s powercommanders can be fitted to raptors, though there are more wires that need to be wired in order for it to work than on the raptor model,it is possible, I have a friend who had it done by forza, his was located above the battery,i have an alarm there so i enquire as to where it could be relocated, was told it was not a problem as they use TL1000 p/cs which had longer looms which allow it to be placed elsewhere.so it is possible and assuming the TL1000r would be similiar, but wire colours and conectors might vary and you would need to know where to wire in extra wires.you tend to find that if you buy a p/c from a dealer you get the fitting and dyno set up as one price.buying your own p/c and giving it to a dealer to install and set up might not end up being cheaper.there are vaying different reports as to how affective, pros/cons on here p/c are, so recommend having it properly fitted so if you experience problems as some have atleast you have some kind of warrenty for the fitting, though the p/c its self will not be warrentied or covered for any damage it causes if on a different bike to what it was intended.
There are no additional wires the TL1000S PC is a direct fit on the Raptors, I know because I bought one and sold it on to another Chapter member afterwards
Another Buell? OMG...........Shouldn't it be much slower than that?
Demonbaker
On the Road

Post by Demonbaker »

Patkin wrote:55 years ago
ozzy wrote:55 years agohello and welcome.there are many posts on here reguarding power commanders and compatability.I would read them all if i were you. from experience and chatting to those who fit them TL1000s powercommanders can be fitted to raptors, though there are more wires that need to be wired in order for it to work than on the raptor model,it is possible, I have a friend who had it done by forza, his was located above the battery,i have an alarm there so i enquire as to where it could be relocated, was told it was not a problem as they use TL1000 p/cs which had longer looms which allow it to be placed elsewhere.so it is possible and assuming the TL1000r would be similiar, but wire colours and conectors might vary and you would need to know where to wire in extra wires.you tend to find that if you buy a p/c from a dealer you get the fitting and dyno set up as one price.buying your own p/c and giving it to a dealer to install and set up might not end up being cheaper.there are vaying different reports as to how affective, pros/cons on here p/c are, so recommend having it properly fitted so if you experience problems as some have atleast you have some kind of warrenty for the fitting, though the p/c its self will not be warrentied or covered for any damage it causes if on a different bike to what it was intended.
There are no additional wires the TL1000S PC is a direct fit on the Raptors, I know because I bought one and sold it on to another Chapter member afterwards

What he said, I know i was that person and said item is now on the xrap
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

original post was for fitting a power commander made for tl1000R, not a tl1000s pc.made no comment on that. as i stated and tlmonkey there are differences,those listed accuritly by tlmonkey.nice to know the tls goes on easily though,then again it should as same engine in raptor
CagedEvil
On the Road

PCII vs PCIII Fuelling accuracy

Post by CagedEvil »

My 1000 Raptor came with Staintune pipes and a PCII. The PC had been Dyno tuned with pipes in place. To cut a long story short, after much fussing with clutch switches (see other posts) and re-mapping on Dyno, installing KN filter, snorkels on/off the bike still didn't run perfectly. It was good but not perfect. There was always a minor surging at part throttle (especially around 3000rpm) regardless of whether hot or cold. I found that by removing the PC the surging went - the bike felt slightly less eager, but at least it was smooth. The last thing I've done is to re-install the original pipes. These actually sound more rorty than I had expected but the big bonus is that the bike runs even better and feels like carburation is cleaner. Oh forgot to mention I have a TRE set on 4th gear map.
End result is that I now really enjoy riding the bike, I don't feel like I'm pushing it, or that it only feels sweet when accelerating or at higher revs.

Two final points;
1. I recommend doing the clutch swith fix and installing a TRE. This makes gear changes much smoother.
2. Can anyone comment on the relative accuracy of fuelling between a PCII and PCIII? The last time I had it on a Dyno the guys had to scratch their heads at first to remember how to set the low rev map with the PCII as you have to go to a different 'page'. The PCIII is set across the rev range from one 'page' and according to the Dyno guy is much easier to get right. Anyone have any comments on this?
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

So wot`s the clutch switch "fix" then :?:
CagedEvil
On the Road

Post by CagedEvil »

RaptorMan wrote:55 years agoSo wot`s the clutch switch "fix" then :?:
The clutch switch fix is where you remove the existing clutch switch (simply unplug the push-fit socket to the right of the clutch lever) and connect instead to a simple on-off switch. I got lucky and found an off-the-shelf $2.50 switch that I could simply push the two pins directly into. I then taped the switch to the base of the left mirror support. Push in to start then release for subsequent riding. Stumbles gone.
RaptorMan
On the Road

Post by RaptorMan »

Good :idea:
Might just do that meself 8)