weird thing happening

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
cowelly
On the Road

weird thing happening

Post by cowelly »

So I decide to take a quick 200ml trip down to Falmouth to see some rellys. Only get a mile or so from my home where the moor roads are ridiculously bumpy so as usual I just stand up on the pegs enduro style. The bike starts pitching badly as it's cutting out and then firing again. I pull over and take the seat off figuring that it's a connection that is only working when my big backside is putting pressure on the seat. A little jigging around and all seems well. Off again and standing up it does it again so I pull and push on the bars but nothing. I then take the pressure off my left foot (which is hard as the bike will then pull hard to the right) and it stops. I realise that putting hard downward pressure on the left peg is somehow cutting out the side stand switch. I haven't looked at it yet as I figured if it caused a problem I'll just disconnect it and twist the wires together. I'm tempted to take it out all together. So there you go, summink ta watch out fer
snapdragon

Re: weird thing happening

Post by snapdragon »

Weird indeed, I wonder if the wire is pinched somehow. The casing on mine has definitely deteriorated, and is now cut and twisted but it's being replaced soon as I can get it done as I can't trust myself not to forget the stand and cause myself grief. :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Pomegranate
On the Road

Re: weird thing happening

Post by Pomegranate »

Exactly the same thing was happening to me on gravel roads and the beach. Intermittent but definitely on standing and, strangely, on sitting back on the pillion seat.

There's no under seat switch or loose connection. It's simply because my left heel was rotation back and pushing the tip of the side stand, activating the switch. Sit on the bike at rest and look down at your left foot and it becomes obvious. Took me far to long to realise.