Raptor 1000 consumption

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Jacko
On the Road

Re: Raptor 1000 consumption

Post by Jacko »

I went out for a ride on Sunday with the new plugs. It took exactly 6(!!!) litres /100 km on average. I'm not sure if it's the new plugs, or the open road (probably both), but I had some motorway sections in it as well, which I did at 90-100 mph.

Now curious to see how the urban consumption turns out with the new plugs...
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Jacko wrote:55 years agoI went out for a ride on Sunday with the new plugs. It took exactly 6(!!!) litres /100 km on average. I'm not sure if it's the new plugs, or the open road (probably both), but I had some motorway sections in it as well, which I did at 90-100 mph.

Now curious to see how the urban consumption turns out with the new plugs...
Gorblimey I need to get my maths skills sorted, 6 litres per 100 kilometres, ? (I don't have kms on my clock) In my head this is just about 10 miles to the litre no? Which is 45 to the gallon in old terms which is fine surely?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

Check that the temp guage is going above 81 degrees, below that is the cold map which dumps in loads of fuel.
Jacko
On the Road

Post by Jacko »

"Which is 45 to the gallon"

It's 47, actually... It's more than fine! :)

"Check that the temp guage is going above 81 degrees, below that is the cold map which dumps in loads of fuel."

OK; that explains it, then (this is pretty much what I expected). It's just by the end of my daily commute (it's 7 km's, rather than miles) when it reaches 85 degrees, which is the normal operating temperature... :(
I guess I'm going to have to change the oil a lot more frequently as well, as I seem to be almost always in the "cold map"-zone...
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

below that is the cold map which dumps in loads of fuel
This peaked my interest and after a few searches there is a 'black box' get around that fools the ECU into switching maps at lower engine temperatures. I'm going to add this mod as even over 25 miles the temp can sometimes dip below 80.

Many, many thanks must go to Crap Tartan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the solution details of which can be found on thread http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 0&start=15

Andy B
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Yup, a black box will sort your particular problem out in that the ECU will think you are at a much higher temp thus giving you the leaner map, your fuel consumption will be better and you wont have any issues with the 3k glitch either! Its a win/win and if you can handle a soldering iron and a multimeter then its a doddle to do and fit.
nil illigitimae carborundum
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

CT (can't keep calling you Crap Tartan...) in your experience what would be the lowest temp that could cope with the 'hot map'?
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Ok just call me Crap for short!!!!

Anyway I always start mine with black box off and choke on full (unless its already warmed up)
I will let it tickover on the choke gradually reducing it to about halfway and monitoring the temp on the clocks.
Once I get it up to around 50/60 degC then I will switch on the black box and the temp will start showing in the low 80`s ish. Its good for an engine to be warmed a little from cold before working them harder when driving but I always try to do the first couple of miles pretty easy but more for prepping myself and warming tyres for better grip than engine mechanical sympathy.
I am happy then to drive off with a little choke still on as remember the black box fools the ECU into changing maps whereas the choke keeps the mixture rich until you are up in revs.
I havent done extensive testing other than is noted in that thread but dont reall ever having any isues with using bike as noted above.
My driver was always the 3k glitch in solving this problem as I found that verging on dangerous.
Fuel consumption and external temp extremes were never an issue I particularly considered.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Well, I think my driver is OCD, prompted just by the knowledge it is swapping/using maps when it shouldn’t really be. Sad I know. Any increase in mpg is always welcome mind.

I’ve always though the low rev fuelling was a little crude & personally have never really experienced a bad 3K glitch although I do notice I come gently back on the throttle around these revs so perhaps I’m just unconsciously driving around it. Only fitting the mod will tell.

Same as you, after idling I knock the choke half back at around 50/60, which seems to be the point the revs are starting to climb more, and by the time I’ve driven the naggery bits around town the temps up to 75 or so & I shut the choke off. But at this time of year the next 5 miles of A-road still doesn’t get the temp above 80 – the next 10 miles of biffing along the motor way does the trick mind, but it never get much hotter than 82 or so. Stationary in traffic is the only way to get the temp up and it does this quite readily even with present temperatures.

Thanks again for the mod & I’ll be fitting it as soon as I get me rs in gear. ATF 50’ing this weekend.
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Tried P.M.-ing you twice Crap Tartan (but not important now) as I will definitely do your mod next even if I cure my main problem which happens at any temperature.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Giocast wrote:55 years agoTried P.M.-ing you twice Crap Tartan (but not important now) as I will definitely do your mod next even if I cure my main problem which happens at any temperature.
no sign of any pm`s in my inbox ??
So remind me what is your main problem that ocurs at any temp?
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

I have a similar cheat device fitted to my Navigator. Works really well as the air temp drops. My understanding was that the "choke" was just for an increased idle speed, hoding the throttle flaps open. The increase in fuel comes from the cold map.

Most recent mod has been making a 2 into 1 exhaust. I made it from 63mm stainless, the end can is the original cut apart, all the innards removed and replaced with 63mm perforated tube and acoustafil. Sounds mega, goes even better. Sorry for the hijack.

[urlImage][/url]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago
Giocast wrote:55 years agoTried P.M.-ing you twice Crap Tartan (but not important now) as I will definitely do your mod next even if I cure my main problem which happens at any temperature.
no sign of any pm`s in my inbox ??
So remind me what is your main problem that ocurs at any temp?
I think I've cured it now - bike would lurch forward if throttle opened by the smallest amount straight after trailing throttle for a few seconds. Have checked every ignition related connector and have replaced TPS and injectors.
Re: private messages – I thought there must be a problem as one didn't get through to a mod either. I know I sent them because I got a copy of the sent message in my inbox. Seems to be okay now, as the fourth one got through to snap dragon
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Hello Jacko!
Do you warm your motor to 82 degrees ( one the display ) prior to riding the 7 miles to work, then back? When I warm mine in the garage, there is a lot of petrol coming out of the pipes unburnt. The cold map in the ECU runs the bike rich - auto choke - until the temperature sensor hits about 82 degrees on the screen. The problem with the choke for warming is that the excess unburnt petrol slips past the rings not the oil and washes the bores of the protective oil. I followed the suggestion to fit a switchable resistor in parallel to the sensor to trick it into moving into the normal running map at a lower temperature. I use a throttle lock to keep the revs up until the engine is at 83 degrees without the choke being on. Perhaps part of your consumption is due to this.